1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Something for the chicks to play with?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mrsgibber, Mar 24, 2009.

1. mrsgibber

mrsgibber Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    Bolton, CT
    Is there something I can place in the brooder for my four week old chicks to play with/peck at during the day?

2. sherrydeanne

sherrydeanne Chillin' With My Peeps

I put some dried leaves and a few sticks in my brooder yesterday and they had a ball. Snacks always keep them busy awhile as well.

3. mrsengeseth

mrsengeseth Chillin' With My Peeps

I can't remember who it was, but they took one of those little cereal boxes, cut off a front, laid it down and put in clumps of grass or something similar and the chicks had a ball. search for "cereal box" and I am sure it'll come up somewhere.

4. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    i hung bird toys in their brooder....[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 24, 2009
  5. mrsgibber

mrsgibber Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    Bolton, CT
    Great. The cereal box thing sounds like a great idea. I just wonder what crumbles are?

6. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    All of those are great ideas. I was wondering the same thing. I have (20) 3 week old Buff Orpington pullets and I wondered about this as well. Thanks for your suggestions.

7. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    I tie (very tightly) little pieces of string to the sides of the brooder. Mine are in a dog cage and I tie 3'-4' pieces of string hanging into their area. They pull and tug for hours.

8. blondiebee181

blondiebee181 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2012
    Boise, ID
    I was definately considering the string thing, or the box, I just don't want to give anything that will make them sick or they can't digest if eaten. I am hoping it will distract them from destroying their bedding, the little turds :) especially the duck...I have 4 chicks and a duck about 2 weeks

9. ci_cyfarth

ci_cyfarth Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2011
    Columbia, MO
    I think this falls into the treats category as well, but last night I picked some edible wild violets -- one per chick -- and dropped them into the brooder. It was absolutely the most hilarious thing in the world watching them chase each other around, trying to claim them.

They got at least an hour or two of play out of it. Plus, it's a treat from the area they'll be living outside, so it's a gentle exposure to that environment as well.

10. blondiebee181

blondiebee181 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2012
    Boise, ID
    Do they have to be a certain age before introducing outside material? My first time raising, so just curious....I'm not using medicated feed either.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by