Something good from evil comes.....

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by I have WHAT in my yard?, Mar 29, 2009.

1. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    Yesterday morning I had the privilege of standing honor at the funeral of one of America's heroes.

Anthony Williams was only 21 years old when he gave his life for his country on his second tour in Afghanistan. As I stood in the cold spring drizzle I had the chance to think about what I was seeing and to marvel at the lengths that people were willing to go to pay their respects. There was at least 60 of us standing guard. Young, old, well educated and not. It didn't matter. It was cold and windy and it rained on and off all morning. No one complained.

I was honored to stand with them. I felt blessed to see it. And I realized that if it hadn't been for the evil of Fred Phelps, this organization would not have formed, and fewer people would make the effort to honor our soldiers.

A very young Marine, a close friend of the the deceased, came through the line and shook every single one of our hands. He had tears running down his cheeks and yet he stood and looked each of us in the eye and shook our hands and said thank you. My warm tears mingled with the cold drizzle and I was grateful simply to be there.

Something good from evil comes.

2. KyleD.

KyleD. Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2009
    south carolina
    It's a feeling isnt it? My grand-father was in the Marine Corps in Vietnam and to be there with the 21 gun salute and taps playing....it will certainly get to you and quickly. BTW have you gotten to chance to watch the new movie Taking Chance?

3. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    NO I haven't, but I really want to. Is it out where you are? I haven't seen it in the theaters here.

4. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

Thank you to Anthony for his unselfish sacrifice, and thank you for standing guard over him. I'm not military minded, though I work for the Police Dept, and when a fellow officer is lost, it is deeply touching to all.

5. KyleD.

KyleD. Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2009
    south carolina
    I have WHAT in my yard? :

NO I haven't, but I really want to. Is it out where you are? I haven't seen it in the theaters here.

No, im not sure that it is. I seen it on HBO and recorded it and honetly i watch it atleast once a week. Its a great movie!​

6. My Father and Mother were buried at Arlington with FULL military honors. The horse drawn casket, the band, the 21 gun salute, the taps.

That was a hard day.

The Marine corps has some of best. That is a young age to lose your life.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2009
  7. Pupsnpullets

Pupsnpullets Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2008
    SoCal desert
    Yesterday, I, too, was at the wake of a fine young marine. 28 years old and killed instantly in car accident the day after his birthday. There were quite a few uniformed soldiers in attendence and a lot of tears shed.

8. turney31

turney31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    palestine texas
    My son is a Marine, He is one of the Marines that stands guard, plays taps,21 gun salutes and presents flags to parents. I am very proud of him. When questioned about how hard it must be to do this, his response was "there is no greater honor".

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by