Something got 1 of my hens and the rooster is hurt.

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by firemantom, Apr 2, 2018.

1. firemantom

firemantom In the Brooder

Jun 12, 2017
    Ball Ground, GA
    Yesterday we let our chickens out which they love and then I heard the dog whining and went our and there were feathers everywhere! We called and finally the hens started coming back and the rooster came back but all his back feathers are gone and he has a cut on his back. I put wound spray on it but he is really a mess. One of the hens is missing, we didn't hear anything even the chickens didn't make their distress noises. What do you think it was, it was in the late afternoon. Thanks!

2. SueT

SueT Free Ranging

May 27, 2015
    SW MO
    We have had chickens lost to coyotes in the daytime here. Whatever it is, it will be back. Lock them up! Good luck!!!!!

Trish1974 likes this.
  3. I would put them on lockdown for at least a week. Setup some game cameras to see who is lurking around.

Good luck

Gary

4. RodNTN

RodNTN Hatchaolic

May 22, 2013
    The Volunteer State
    My Coop
    We lost a Light Brahma hen to a coyote a couple of years ago, I would follow the advice above and lock your flock up until you find out what did this.
    The very next day the coyote that took my hen was back for more (although it was a close call, his attack was thankfully unsuccessful).
    Because whatever did this will be back pretty soon.

5. firemantom

firemantom In the Brooder

Jun 12, 2017
    Ball Ground, GA
    They are up and will stay up for awhile! Also I have the gun ready!

Trish1974 likes this.
  6. Trish1974

Trish1974 Araucana enthusiast

Mar 16, 2016
    North Central IN
    My Coop
    In addition to coyote it could have also been a fox. I've witnessed many fox attacks and they usually grab on the back as you describe. Keep an eye out for your missing hen, she could be hiding somewhere.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: