Something got 2 of my ducks heads?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Triplell, Apr 11, 2012.

1. Triplell

Triplell Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2011
    Brainerd, MN
    I woke up Easter morning and my husband got me up and told me that 2 ducks were dead. I went dowm to the barn and my Blue drake with 4 hens were kept and seen the worst thing I could think of. My Blue headed drake was missing his head and one of his girls was too. I have search this site and can't find anything. Have any idea's?

2. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2012
    Skunk. It is very common for a skunk to decapitate several fowl in one night. Get a trap!

3. Triplell

Dec 29, 2011
    Brainerd, MN
    Ok, would a skunk climb a fence or crawl under the fence? We just found that our fence is lifted up in 2 spots.

4. missrobinson

missrobinson New Egg

Apr 12, 2012
    A predator is an annoying and worrying thing. A hungry one even more so. We have raccoons and skunks in this area that bother chickens. I'm leaning towards a skunk as well and if he is hungry enough he will find a way around a fence if there is one such as a light chicken wire. Racs are the ones who will climb over fences they are nimble things.

5. mixitup

mixitup Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    Even rats will do that. Minks, weasels as well. Most likely, if it's at night-skunk or coon.

6. m.kitchengirl

m.kitchengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Maine
    Skunks will certainly climb fences, and go under fences.
    Those paws of theirs are a lot like hands, and they are very smart critters.
    They especially love ducks. A skunk can smell a duck from 5 miles away, and will do quite a lot of damage very quickly.

7. OldGuy43

OldGuy43 Chillin' With My Peeps

Electric fence. Wire 6-8" off the ground.

8. mixitup

mixitup Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    Too bad that didn't work for rats too! I hate rats and it would be nice to 'fry' some of the little beggars.

9. OldGuy43

OldGuy43 Chillin' With My Peeps

Don't know why it wouldn't. It would just require the wire being closer to the ground. Keeping the vegetation off the fence would be the real problem.

10. Triplell

Dec 29, 2011
    Brainerd, MN
    We do have electric fencing to keep my small dog within the backyard. We have field fencing for the yard and it works great as long as some one don't turn the DA#M thing off!!! We could string it down to the barn. I also am using the field fencing for my chicken and duck yard but it has the small spaces at the bottom. Gonna change that as soon as we can, money is short right now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by