Something got ahold of a gosling.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by DulcyDoll, Jun 23, 2010.

1. DulcyDoll

DulcyDoll Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    Baltimore, MD
    I have a handful of goslings, they are feathering out, not exact on age.

I got home late, and just went back to put them in for the night (they were in their run, covered) and found one of my toulouse goslings is missing most of his bottom bill. I think there is some on one side left, but I can see his tongue all the way up to his face. He also has a nasty "cut" where it looks like something grabbed hold of him, right were his bottom bill would be attached to his face. He was attempting to eat, but I dunno. I'm not sure what got at him, could have been a rat, or some similar rodent, but I walked the perimeter of the run and all around with a flashlight and found no signs of the attack, or break-in points for larger animals (though if it were larger it would have killed him, and I would probably be in a better place right now. I hate to see him in pain, and hate even more to be looking at putting him down.)

Any hope? I'm going to work with him tomorrow and see what exactly is going on, if he can drink or eat even a bit. He is alert and talking like his usual self..

Opinions would help..

2. GrumpyOldMan

GrumpyOldMan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    SE Louisiana
    We have a duck that had half of its face ripped open, its upper bill broken off from its skull and pulled out from under the skin. The vet put it back together and it’s alive and happy. This happened last month and if you didn’t know it had happened you couldn’t tell by looking at Squeaks.

I’d at the least have a vet look at your gosling before putting it down.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2010
  3. DulcyDoll

Sep 11, 2008
    Baltimore, MD
    I'm not sure the vet would be able to do anything, the beak is completely gone from end to end one one side. He also has some wounds on his back. He is trying to eat and drink, but can't get anything scooped up. His tongue is resting on the edge of the remaining piece.

I'll call the vet and see what they say.

4. Kedreeva

Kedreeva Longfeather Lane

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    Hate to say it but without having the rest of the bill, you probably won't get much help from a vet. If it was the top bill, you might have had more luck because it could scoop food at least. Bottom bill... you will most likely be euthanizing the gosling or hand feeding it the rest of its life.

As for what may have attacked, if you're someplace that has weasels, they can squeeze themselves into reeeeeally small spaces and do a lot of damage; but they are typically able to kill rather than just maim. It could be that your other goslings fended off the attacker, but not soon enough. It could be other things, depending on the size of the coop's wiring. It's also possible that he's ripped it off himself if it got stuck, so you may want to have a look around to see if it's gotten buried in dirt or shavings or something, or at least check for blood on the fencing which could give you an idea of either where something got in or where he got stuck.

5. jojo@rolling acres farm

[email protected] acres farm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    Nebraska
    Okay, I've had parrots for years and I remember once someone had a parrot with part of it's beak missing. They created the missing part with dental epoxy - It worked until the beak grew back - which will take a while and the beak had to be filed and shaped as it grew. I get so darn attached to my goslings - I would have to try something. I have a really great avaian vet - who is more than willing to try new things in a pinch. Do you know anyone like that? Is there any part of the lower beak left? My heart is breaking for you and your little gosling! Before you put it down...explore some of your options - I wish you the very best - sending all kinds of good vibes your way!!!

ETA: Just re-read some of your posting...Okay...so is the beak split so that there is one half of it there? If so, I really think he can be helped.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2010
  6. DulcyDoll

Sep 11, 2008
    Baltimore, MD
    I called the vet, he agreed to see me right away, he took a look at Duke. His bottom jaw on the left side is broken, the wound on the side of his face is already infected. He said he could try to put his jaw back together, but it's not probable that it will work because they use their bills for everything so it won't be able to heal. The surgery would cost me around $300. He has never done any prosthetic work with birds beaks, and wasn't sure how he would affix one to his head , if the jaw was fixed. He told me that if it were the top part, it would be easier to remedy, but without the bottom he cannot grasp, or scoop things to get them to his throat.

In the end, I decided on euthanasia. We both thought it would be the best thing for him. Duke was a happy little guy, right up to the end, he cuddled in my arms as he took his last breaths. I hate how easily we get attached to these birds.

Thanks for the advice

7. Kedreeva

Kedreeva Longfeather Lane

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    *hugs* I'm sorry for your loss [​IMG]

8. GrumpyOldMan

GrumpyOldMan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    SE Louisiana
    Good try. Sorry for your loss. At least you know you did everything you could. Only cost me $60.00 but it was a top bill and our vet is a really, REALLY nice guy and very, VERY good. I was surprised when my wife said $60.00 I was expecting… put it down or $300.00 to $500.00 to try to save Squeaks. I agree with, if had been the top bill maybe but the bottom is a different story. So sad! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by