Something got in and killed my Guineas: Fortification Material post 20

perchie.girl

RIP 1953-2021
9 Years
Nov 29, 2010
San Diego county High Desert
I am devastated..... I went to feed the horse and check on my Guineas and realized it was quite a bit quieter at my place than usual. I could hear the keets but not the eleven Young adults. When I went up to the cage the Littleuns were fine but very big eyed, and skittish. Any quick movement on my part sent them to Chi Chi Chi ing.

Thats when I saw the carnage. All the adults were slaughtered right there in the coop. There were five full bodies three partially consumed bodies and an assortment of wings and feet. An one 90 percent consumed carcass. I can only assume they were eaten on the spot or carried away. Which makes me feel like it was a bobcat. I looked for an opening in the kennel panels and didnt find one. But I noticed there was a space between the roof panel and the garage door..... I should have seen it.

I am going up tomorrow to seal up the Littleuns with some Aviary wire and build a skirt around the base. Untill I can get the bigger parts of the coop up thats the best I can do..... I am sooo sick at heart....

Last edited:
Oh my gosh! I just about cried when I read the title! I hate it when others lose birds, just breaks my heart.
sad.png

hugs.gif
hugs.gif

Quote:
Sigh... The only thing I can do is make sure the Littleuns make it..... I dont live at home I live sixty miles away. Hopefully what ever it was will be full tonight and I can get the aviary panel up on the weak link of my coop.

I will be kicking myself for some time..... When we lock em up its our responsibility to do a good job of it.... to keep them safe. I wasn't diligent enough.

My heart goes out to you for your loss....truely hate this...
I am a native San Diegian myself and agree that it might be a bobcat...
might even be a fox but not sure if they are even in the area anymore...
I know how devastated I would be if I found mine all slaughtered ....
I am so sorry Deb ....I hate it for you....
keep the young ones safe! good luck!

curious about where you live?...IB by any chance?? Otay?

perchie.girl :

Quote:
Sigh... The only thing I can do is make sure the Littleuns make it..... I dont live at home I live sixty miles away. Hopefully what ever it was will be full tonight and I can get the aviary panel up on the weak link of my coop.

I will be kicking myself for some time..... When we lock em up its our responsibility to do a good job of it.... to keep them safe. I wasn't diligent enough.

Everyone makes mistakes at one point or another.
smile.png

Have you tryed those Red Blinking Boxes? (Can't think of the name of it. LOL)
It kept away the Coyotes from visiting our property since they can see it far away if the fields are all cut during the fall. (The only time they will come near here is when food is scarce.)​

Quote:
Jacumba..... about sixty miles east of El Cajon. BTW we do have foxes. They are grey and brown. And In Jacumba there will be Desert fox as well as Kit fox. They are very small though. I know foxes can climb trees but the place where the predator could have come in is six foot tall and vertical plywood. A bobcat could jump up. A racoon could walk along the ceiling of the chainlink roof to get in and out.

Oh and
welcome-byc.gif

Back
Top Bottom