Something got in but luckily didnt kill anything....yet

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by csummer8882, Apr 2, 2012.

1. JerseyGiantfolk

JerseyGiantfolk Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2012
    I had the same issue, I think It may have been a fox, trying to dig under the coop. Make sure to put another strand of chicken wire around the cage, one usually isn't enough, through my experiences. As long as the chickens have that large coop open for them to sleep in through the night, they should be safe. It's good you put the plywood there. For one of my sets of coops we put chicken wire under the foundation out to about 3 feet so the critters can't dig under.

2. csummer8882

csummer8882 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Rockingham County, NH
    If my girls were in the coop, why did it bother breaking into the run with no food or anything there? Just because it wanted to?

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

It probably smelled the hens or the feed. And chickenwire is a disaster waiting to happen. It's only for keeping chickens in and nothing out. Get a roll of 2x4 welded wire fencing and wrap that pen with it. It won't keep weasels or rats/mice out, but it will keep larger critters out. If you want to keep everything out, use hardware cloth attached with those U-shaped hammer-in staples plus a good solid dig barrier.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2012
  4. JerseyGiantfolk

JerseyGiantfolk Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2012
    I use chain link around metal poles (we're going to get a new wood coop soon, this one is like 5 years old now) then put 3 strips of chicken wire around the cage, and fasten it of course. Then we have a wood frame around it. No critter problems except for mice/voles. It sounds pretty flimsy, but my mom made it more tough than it looks. And the top has a metal roof. Plain chicken wire on top isn't going to stop a bobcat/raccoon.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2012
  5. csummer8882

csummer8882 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Rockingham County, NH
    The run is double wrapped with chicken wire and there is a barrier off the 3/8" plywood we just set into the ground. Hardware cloth is coming soon as is a solid roof before next winter. Its a work in progress. :) Thanks everyone.

6. vishnu kokareko

vishnu kokareko Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2012
    INDIA , KERALA
    good luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by