1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Something got my geese last night I need help

Discussion in 'Geese' started by gretchen4201, Jun 12, 2011.

1. gretchen4201

gretchen4201 New Egg

May 28, 2011
    Some animal broke through my chainlink gate and got into my yard. 2 of my geese are bleeding from their wing feathers. Does anyone know what I can put on them. It's sunday and their are no vets open today. Please help.

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    Wow, I'm glad they are only bleeding from their wings, but ckeck them all over to make sure that's it. Clean the wounds off with something like sterile saline or even clean water. Then put lots of neosporin or the store brand equivalent on them (I like the petroleum based ointments without the pain relief ingredient) Put it on a couple times a day. Birds are pretty good at healing.

3. Ceinwyn

Ceinwyn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Southeast Ohio
    Kwik stop or a styptic pencil can be used in a pinch to stop any active bleeding.
    Corn starch can be used in an emergency as well.
    I hope they're okay.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 12, 2011
  4. AllthingsG

AllthingsG Out Of The Brooder

Jan 13, 2011
    Wait...I don't think Quik Stop should be used on tissue. It can be used on broken or split nails but should not be used on tissue wounds. I would clean the wounds well with saline and get them on antibiotics asap.

Birds have a high clotting factor and once the wound is cleaned unless there are broken blood feathers (new feathers being fed by blood running through the quill) the bleeding should stop. If these were young geese and they did have new feathers coming in and there was still blood in the quill - the blood feathers need to be removed. Pull the feather out firmly and quickly with a pair of needle nose pliars or something similar. Grasp the feather at the base (nearest the wing) and quickly and firmly pull the feather out in the direction it grows...meaning straight out.

The bleeding will stop once this is done.

Keep up posted.

Joni

5. queenbeezz

queenbeezz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Orlando
    Sounds like you need a trap and a shotgun too. Make sure they are penned up tonight. What ever is was probably will be back.

6. Ceinwyn

May 14, 2011
    Southeast Ohio
    styptic powder contains an antiseptic and an anelgesic and is used to stop bleeding and relieve pain.
    It is used on dog tails after docking, which is tissue.
    Birds feathers are not tissue so I'm not sure what your reference to not using it in this case would be.
    I do agree with having to remove the feathers if blood feathers are envolved.

7. AllthingsG

AllthingsG Out Of The Brooder

Jan 13, 2011
    Ceinwyn, I didn't mean to offend you. I've had parrots for years and years and Kwik Stop should not be used on tissue wounds. Without knowing what the wounds look like (they could have been on the wing tissue) I was just offering additional information. Hopefully the wounds were broken blood feathers and all is well.

I hope the OP keeps us posted.

Enjoy your day.

Joni

8. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

Quick stop is great in an emergency - and I think everyone should have some on hand BUT it stings like the devil and can be caustic on open flesh wounds. (try it on yourself the next time you get a shaving cut - let me tell you OUCH!) It works best for nail clipping/bleeding in birds and even then unless really, really flowing - I try not to use it.

Ouch for the poor pups who have it put on their docked tails - not something I would do, nor the vets that I know. But I know everyone does things differently.

Corn starch also will help stop bleeding and does not cause pain or skin burning.

Unless there is a lot of blood flow - I would not worry about it. Clean around the wound and if you can find a way to keep flies away - that would be best. But considering they are geese, whatever you put on them will likely be preened off or washed off.

Can you see if they have punture wounds, torn skin or just feathers missing?

[​IMG] it is not a great way to start your day. [​IMG]

9. Ceinwyn

May 14, 2011
    Southeast Ohio
    Quote:No offense taken at all. I also bred parrots for over ten years and never had a problem with kwik stop.
    I used the one with benzocaine and it doesn't sting.
    They have much better products out now I use both seal-on and blue kote.

(corrected for spelling)

10. gretchen4201

gretchen4201 New Egg

May 28, 2011
    I want to thank all of you for your response. I got them all cleaned up they were just blood feathers no open wounds. Whatever got in did eat 3 of my younger chickens but I guess my geese were just to much for him. Thank goodness. But I have locked them into the chicken coop for the night instead of letting them stay in the dog run at night. Thank you again for everyone's help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by