1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

? Something got our Girls?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by R&RCoop, Jan 10, 2010.

1. R&RCoop

R&RCoop Out Of The Brooder

Oct 28, 2009
    Fort Worth, TX
    So We lost 2 of our girls this week [​IMG]

I went out to feed Wednesday morning and 2 of our babies were dead on the coop floor with there heads missing. I was so shocked. It Did not look like there was much of a struggle, hardly any blood. What kind of animal would do this? We bought a animal trap and have been setting it outside the coop every night since, but nothing so far. I just fear for the rest of my girls. I just pray that we catch what ever did this, before it gets any more of our sweet chickens.

2. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    R&RCoop :

So We lost 2 of our girls this week [​IMG]

I went out to feed Wednesday morning and 2 of our babies were dead on the coop floor with there heads missing. I was so shocked. It Did not look like there was much of a struggle, hardly any blood. What kind of animal would do this? We bought a animal trap and have been setting it outside the coop every night since, but nothing so far. I just fear for the rest of my girls. I just pray that we catch what ever did this, before it gets any more of our sweet chickens.

Have you scoured every inch of the coop to look for places where a predator could get in? Oh, and I am sorry for your loss. Didn't mean to sound short with you but I am worried since it is nightime again.​

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2010
  3. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    What's the coop like? Any small area where a predator can get in, or even just reach in to grab a sleeping chicken? Reinforcing the coop and trapping both will help.

I'm sorry this happened to you, it's a horrible experience. [​IMG] and good luck building Ft. Knox.

4. Suechick

Suechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2009
    Carlsbad, CA
    So sorry this happened to you.
    It sounds like a racoon, skunk, or a possum.
    They can get through even 1 or 2 inch openings. I cover all my vents with hardware cloth to keep my girls safe.
    Hope you catch it and don't lose any more.

5. rufus

rufus Overrun With Chickens

May 17, 2007
    Owl.

Rufus

6. smarsh

smarsh Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    lexington, KY
    mink or weasel. they can enter through very small holes (weasel can go through something nearly as small as a mouse) and that is what they do; kill more than they need and eat the head, drink the blood. little vampires.

7. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

I think smarsh is right. You need to clean down the floor and examine every inch of your coop, including along the roof line. Anything bigger than 1/2" will admit a small mink or weasel. Check where electrical cords go through the wall, you have to re-seal after getting a plug through. They are smart, traps have to free of human scent and the best way to get rid of them ( there could be more than one) is to exclude them. It many also mean treating your run the same way- in winter a member of the weasel family will strike during the day and may not show much fear of you. There are common here and we can't legally kill them because we are in a protection zone for pine marten and most fur-bearing mammals. We had to build like Fort Knox...I'm so sorry. Get on this please, or the flock will be gone.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2010
  8. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Here I go again.... I sound like a commercial! NITE GUARD!!! They really work!!! [​IMG]

9. R&RCoop

R&RCoop Out Of The Brooder

Oct 28, 2009
    Fort Worth, TX
    Thanks for all the reply's. Our coop is a old dog kennel & Run. Its made out of shed material. Every sturdy, but there is spaces where the sheet medal meets the concrete flooring, Like 1 to 2 inch gaps. Guess we need to find a way to seal them. From everyone's response sounds like a weasel or coon. Do weasels live in TX.? Just never heard anyone say they have seen one down here.Thanks again everyone for your input.

10. BellLisamo

BellLisamo Diagnosed w/ Muscovitis

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    skunks kept doing that to my young young chickens

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by