Something got through my hardware clothe!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by DianaMallory, Aug 7, 2014.

1. DianaMallory

DianaMallory Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2012
    Lancaster Ohio
    We are in the process of building a new coop at our new location. My husband went to our take the windows off my old coop and noticed something had pulled off the hardware cloth on the corner of the run. It was attached with heavy staples the only thing I can think that might have been strong enough to do that damage was a coon. I am glad the little critter didn't get any thing because the coop and run are empty I rehomed my flock over a year ago. I have almost 4 week old chicks and I will be reinforcing the run with U nails! I have been through 2 massacres in the past and I never want to go through it again, I thought I had been over predator proofing I guess I was wrong. Time to bump it up a notch!

2. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    If possible I would recommend large flat washers with screws for attaching the hardware cloth.

1 person likes this.
  3. DianaMallory

Jul 20, 2012
    Lancaster Ohio
    Well my husband screws everything together I will let him know this and I bet that is what he will do! Thanks!

4. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    Using staples...no matter the size...are really not sufficient for use with hardware cloth regardless of what some people may tell you. I used 1-1/2" deck screws with a fender washer spaced every 14-16 inches everywhere....About the only thing that can get through my Ft. Knox is a bear.

5. DianaMallory

Jul 20, 2012
    Lancaster Ohio
    That's the way I want it! Nothing but a bear and since we really don't have any bears yet here, they are slowly making a come back in the state of Ohio. Like I said I thought I had done an over kill job, but live and learn. I am just thankful no lives were lost to learn this lesson!

6. seann

seann Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2013
    Yea I reinforced my puny stapled hardware cloth with large flat washers. I felt better.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by