something growing in my feed

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by smarsh, Jun 20, 2011.

1. smarsh

smarsh Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    lexington, KY
    I feed purina flock raiser. I wouldn't say it is molding, it is dark. There is something growing on the metal trash can I store it in, not on the feed itself, but on the sides of the container and it falls into the fee. You can see the stuff growing and falling in. It has a sweet, perfume smell and is nearly the same color as the feed. It doesn't seem to be bother the chickens. I assume there was moisture in the feed so I poured it out on some paper to dry and the stuff started growing on top and around the feed. There was a ring of the stuff around the feed in a matter of a couple hours. What the heck?

2. littlestars17

littlestars17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    eek not good-I would probab ly replace it nad maybe use a plastic can instead..Maybe wiht the metal there is condensation??

3. southerndesert

southerndesert B & M Chicken Ranch

Jun 17, 2011
    Morristown, AZ
    I agree if the food has gotten wet or moist there could be bacteria growth that could cause your chickens to get ill. I would replace the feed if it were me...

4. smarsh

Aug 19, 2009
    lexington, KY
    i am telling you, the feed never got wet nor looks bad. and i have been keeping it in this container for years. You can pick this stuff up and watch it boil up in your hand. i have never seen anything like it.

5. KFox

KFox Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    Put it on youtube. I want to see.
    [​IMG]

6. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    Quote:Look very closely at it, with a magnifying glass if you have one. I would suspect mites (not the kind that get on your chickens).

7. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    I would dispose of that feed. Thoroughly clean the can then rinse with a 10:1 water bleach solution before putting into the sun to dry.

Then I'd do a hard clean on the area you keep the can in. It sounds like some sort of weevil/mite infestation.

If you have any diatomaceous earth or can get it then spread it around and under the area you keep the feed can in after the area has been cleaned and dried.

8. smarsh

Aug 19, 2009
    lexington, KY
    thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by