something hanging from its bottom

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by austinmama, May 19, 2010.

1. austinmama

austinmama New Egg

May 16, 2010
    One of my chicks that just popped out has something hanging from, what looks like, its bottom. It looks kind of like a litte raspberry and looks like it should be on the inside of the chick. The chick is acting normal and I don't want to take it out of the incubator to look. Anyone have any experience with this? Any help is much appreciated.

2. bturbo87

bturbo87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    south
    Could it be part of the yolk sac? If so I would leave it alone what is sticking out will dry out and eventually fall off. But it needs to absorb as much of it as possible.

3. austinmama

austinmama New Egg

May 16, 2010
    it does seem to have gotten smaller since hatching and i don't see any yellow from yoke. can i put it in brooder or keep it in moist incubator?

thank you

4. bturbo87

bturbo87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    south
    The yolk sac is not yellow it looks like a part of its intestines honestly. um let me get back to you on where to put it. how old is it now though?

5. NurseNettie

NurseNettie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2008
    Northern Maine
    Sounds like part of the yolk sacm, which doesn't usually look yellow. If he just hatched, I'm assuming that you still have others to hatch, so just leave him be, and move him when you move the rest of them. If the others start to peck or pull at it, you may want to move him out, but right now, they're probably too tired from hatching to pick at each other. It should absorb and be gone by the time you move them all.

Quote:

6. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    I would leave it in the incubator until it is all or mostly dried out. The moisture in the incubator will be good for re-absorbing the yolk, if that is what it is. And the controlled environment inside the incubator is the best recovery place for the baby to rest after hatching.

Congrats--sounds like a healthy chick. [​IMG]

7. georgialee

georgialee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Knoxville, TN
    Yep, you just want to leave him in there. If the others peck you can wrap him in a moist warm paper towel (head out) and prop him in the corner of the incubator. [​IMG]

8. austinmama

austinmama New Egg

May 16, 2010
    He was the last to hatch (hatched yesterday). Hatched 9 others the day before. First hatch! I put it in a smaller box within the bigger brooder box because the other chicks do want to peck at it. I decided to take him out of the incubator because it was just so nasty and smelly in there. The sac has definitely gotten smaller. He is very lively and wants to join the others but I'll wait for a while longer.

Thanks for the help!

Last edited: May 20, 2010
  9. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Glad it's looking better. I often remove ducklings from the hatcher early for one reason or another, and I always have a "recovery brooder" available--just a small box with a towel & a lamp that is separate from the other babies. I love your idea of just putting a small box in the bigger brooder for folks who don't just have a bunch of brood lamps hanging around like I do. [​IMG] Good luck to him--sounds like he's gonna be just fine.

10. austinmama

austinmama New Egg

May 16, 2010
    It's almost gone now and the chick seems to be thriving. Thanks for the reassurance.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by