something has been again!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Johnn, Nov 7, 2011.

1. Johnn

Johnn Overrun With Chickens

Sep 5, 2011
    A few weeks ago i found my light sussex hens with her head gone and this week i found my black orpington chicken dead there was a huge patch of feathers then a big trail of them (obviously her trying to escape) so i followed them with my friend and the trail stopped and she said "she could be in there" but then i looked to my left and the was lieng there dead with a chunk taken out her back and im worried incase something comes back, both attacks were done through the day because that chicken would not be that far from the shed at night

2. Johnn

Sep 5, 2011
    and it was just 1 light sussex hen

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Was she taken from a closed coop? I'm not sure where she was taken or how the predator got in. That might help.

4. Johnn

Sep 5, 2011
    no they have a huge feild and are free to roam, ive never had any predetor problem ever before this its annoying and the sad thing was i knew if it came back she was next

5. loanwizard

loanwizard Chillin' With My Peeps

I would guess 2 different predators. Headless= coon or possibly possum.

Chunk out of back but not a clean kill, I would guess bird of prey.

6. Johnn

Sep 5, 2011
    well the first may be a stoat or a weasel but the second i really dont know and the hen must have out up a strungle she got quite far and i live in the uk we dont have any hawks or birds of prey i dont think

7. Tracy the chick

Tracy the chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2011
    Uk
    Hi there i too am from the uk and we have a lot of hawks and kestrels flying about, a bird of prey would kill then pluck loads of feathers out so it sounds like a land animal, a weasel would go for the neck and a fox would just take chunks and discard it.. Im so sorry for your loss and hope you get to the bottom of it... You might have to lock them up at night or put an electric fence up... Tracy...

8. Johnn

Sep 5, 2011
    no attack has been done at night

9. Tracy the chick

Tracy the chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2011
    Uk
    Hi, all these animals come out during the day... A chicken might be a bit big for a hawk... Only thing is whatever took them knows they are there... Its a big pain in the bum, i had mine free rome in my apple orchard but had to put an electric fence up because of the fox, it got 3 of mine all during the day....

10. Johnn

Sep 5, 2011
    thats what worrys me! they no they are there

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by