1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Something I'm Forgetting!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by RedBreasted, Mar 4, 2015.

1. RedBreasted

RedBreasted Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2014
    Idaho
    So here are my chickens picture of my chickens which is hens. I got my chicks staying out in the sun for just a few like couple minutes then bring back in. Is really sunny but the cam on my ipad makes it not sunny now.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I keep thinking that I am missing something. I know I'm missing a coop but i am building one soon this summer but I keep forgetting something. Is not the fact that my oldest chicken who is Cutey the black breasted red old english hen is keep on flying on fences all the time. I can't clip her wings or trim them. (Not literally fly!) But I keep on knowing I am forgetting something. Can you guys guess it?

Last edited: Mar 4, 2015
  2. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Do you just have Cutey and two baby chicks? Where does Cutey live? You're right about getting motivated building a coop. These little ones will be ready for one in just six weeks.

I bet they had a ball outdoors for the first time! It's good to let them out for a bit each day it's nice out. I usually keep their container/carrier handy for them to go back into when they begin to feel chilled. Then that's my signal to pop them back under the heat lamp.

3. RedBreasted

Sep 21, 2014
    Idaho
    Cutey live in my backyard. I only have the 2 chicks and the hen. She likes to fly on fences but I don't want to clip or trim her wings.

4. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    What about a nest box? Where does Cutely lay her eggs? If the chicks are pullets, they'll need a place to lay, too.

Where does Cutey roost at night? In a hedge or tree?

5. RedBreasted

Sep 21, 2014
    Idaho
    Today she fly over to my neighbor backyard and dig their. :eek: How can I stop her from flying to their? Shes back now but how can I stop her from flying. I don't want to trim or clip her wings! Help Me!

6. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Why do you not want to clip her wings? Unless you have her in a covered run of some sort, she'll most likely keep doing it.

7. RedBreasted

Sep 21, 2014
    Idaho
    I don't know how to clip/trim her wings. I am afraid that she will get hurt! I don't know what else to not let her fly beside clip/trim.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by