1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Something is attacking my tomatoes

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by cassie, Jul 6, 2016.

1. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    When I went out to check my tomatoes this morning, I found that half of them have been almost stripped of leaves. Three days ago they were fine. It is not tomato hornworms. I am familiar with them and I checked very carefully. On two of the leaves I found clumps of brown dots about each about 1/16" in diameter. On close examination each of the brown dots look like egg sacs. I went to Lowes and got some spray that is supposed to work, but I would like to know what the culprit is. Ideas anyone? I am in southern Missouri.

2. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    Never mind. It is tomato hornworms after all. Picked off two huge ones a little while ago. I am going to spray them tonight.

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    I try to stay ahead of the hornworms but I hand pick them instead of spraying. Not anti-spray but my chickens and guinea fowl love them as a treat!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by