Something is burrowing holes around my pen. Any ideas on what it is?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Sandy117, May 28, 2010.

1. Sandy117

Sandy117 New Egg

Jul 13, 2007
    Something is burrowing holes around my chicken pen. I have a coop inside a pen, which is closed every night. The pen is made of a big net and was put up to keep hawks from attacking the chickens. Mice can run through the net. It's not very secure around the bottom, but keeps the hawks from attacking. Now I have holes burrowed all around the net. The holes range in size from a tennis ball to smaller. Today all five eggs were gone. Any ideas? Thanks

2. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Sounds like maybe rats?

3. shay20

shay20 Shay's Flock of Fun

Jul 31, 2008
    in the wild, Mass
    Quote:oh same as mine, i see these holes every where inside my pens, even in my geese pen. and a huge drop in eggs.
    sorry i have no answers i am going through the same thing but i thought mine was snakes, but after the last post and yor post, maybe mine is rats. yuke!

4. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Several holes sounds like mice & rats, in which the rats will eat the eggs. A snake may stay in a rat hole, but more likely wouldn't have a hole, but would stay underneath something.

5. chickbird

chickbird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Quote:CHIPMONKS DO THIS(TINY GROUND SQUIRREL) COULD ALSO BE RATS/MICE I HAVE THE CHIPMONKS IN MY PEN....

6. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    sounds like mice or chipmunks.....drop some little poisoned balls down there or set a have a heart trap with some tuna or something in it at night after the coop is shut to try and catch it/them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by