1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

something is eating my feed :(

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by 1 lucky dad, Aug 4, 2011.

1. 1 lucky dad

1 lucky dad Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2011
    West Farmington,ohio
    Filled the feeder last night and its half empty already! Only 4 spoiled birds that get plenty of treats can't possibly be eating all that. Wonder if I am gonna have to take the feeder out at night. Living in the country is great except them darn mice! Any good remedies to keep the critters out?[​IMG]

2. Ema

Ema Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2010
    N. Ontario CANADA
    they could be spilling the feed, depending on the feeder you have they might be able to scratch out the feed and scatter it on the ground. Mine were doing that until I changed their feeder. and put it up a bit higher.

but if you happen to have mice or other small rodents around, from experience I will tell you your chickens will go after them, unless you have a big big rodent problem, there is no possible way a few mice could have eaten so much feed over night. My guess they are spilling it.

I used hardware cloth over one of my feeders so that they can only stick their beaks in to eat :)

Good luck,

Ema

3. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    something is eating my feed [​IMG]Filled the feeder last night and its half empty already!

So how much feed is that?​

4. Ema

Ema Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2010
    N. Ontario CANADA
    Quote:So how much feed is that?

ohh good question, I didn't think of ask that!!

5. 1 lucky dad

Aug 1, 2011
    West Farmington,ohio
    7 pound feeder hanging about 1 foot above ground. And yes they are spilling some on the ground, but it looks like they are eating it off the ground also.

6. Slotred

Slotred Out Of The Brooder

Feb 11, 2011
    Rats, maybe? Mice?

7. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Try a bucket trap. Fill a 5 gallon bucket half full of water, then cover the surface of the water with sunflower seeds (so the bucket looks like its full of seed). Provide an access ramp. They jump in and can't get back out. Take it away in the morning so the chickens can't get to it. Good luck!

8. 1 lucky dad

Aug 1, 2011
    West Farmington,ohio
    That sounds like a good idea, I will try it for sure. Thanks

9. itom37

itom37 Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2011
    You'd be able to see all that food spread on the coop floor if it was spilled by the birds. Can you?

Unless your coop is Fort Knox tight, you do have rodents. I've opened my coop at night and seen one lazily chewing down. The chickens will not chase them off at night... they're sleepy. I have these boxes that hold poison that pets, children, and chickens can't get to, and two are in the coop. Another couple next to where I store my feed. I recommend it to prevent infestation and wasted feed, but do be sure you understand the risks of poison.

10. 1 lucky dad

Aug 1, 2011
    West Farmington,ohio
    It's in a circle directly under the feeder it's not all over the coop. I am also noticing that since food consuption has gone up, so has egg production. I think I will start by removing the food at night.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by