1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Something is killing my chicks... Thoughts... Advice...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by texascowboy1979, Sep 8, 2009.

1. texascowboy1979

texascowboy1979 Chillin' With My Peeps

I have have bought chicks 3 times in the past week... and something keeps eatting them... At 1st I thought it was the dog... so I took care of that problem... now it keeps happening..

Description of Site:

There is a whole under the fence the size of a tennise ball... I dont know if its a rat or a snake that killed them all... I need to fix it before my expensive birds start to hatch...

I bought lots of rat poision... dont know if that will fix the problem...

I am going to lift the pen up and put plywood on the bottom to keep anything from getting in from the bottom.

The top of the pen is regular chicken wire...

I have a small rabbit hutch that I am thinking of converting into a chick coop... but dont know how long that will last because of the number of chicks I expect to hatch...

Running out of options...

Ill probly build a heavy duty chick coop with holes the size of 1/4th by 1/4th...

One question thow... why have my peacocks not been killed??? Why did the problem just start. I never had this problem in the past... my turkey, goose, and chicken chicks all did fine... The killings just started out of no where..

P.S.

There is no evidence of the chicks... no feathers... no bodies... no blood... nothing... Its like they were abducted by Aliens...

2. jqs birds

jqs birds Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2009
    Western Colorado
    How many chicks are dissapearing each time?

3. 4HillsSumatras

4HillsSumatras Chillin' With My Peeps

Sounds like a snake to me. But they usally will only swallow a couple. How may vanished? Do you think they excaped through the hole?

4. Soccer Mom

Soccer Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    West of Crazy
    If you lose a couple chicks at a time and no more, my guess would be snake. I had one picking off ducklings from a coop this spring.

5. texascowboy1979

Escape...

I do not belive they escaped... The hole was not there at night and appeared in the morning... and all the chicks were gone..

Each time I buy 4 or 5 chicks.

The 1st time, 4 chicks were bought and 4 went missing.. 2 days later, I bought 4 more chicks and 3 went missing... and I was left withone... Then 3 days later I bought 4 more chicks for a total of 5 chicks and they all went missing...

The hole is perfet... No signs of a large animal digging... its like the hole has been there fore weeks... even thow I know it happend over night... i will take pictures tomorrow and post them on this post for you all to see....

6. Soccer Mom

May 5, 2009
    West of Crazy
    A perfect little hole is the calling card of a snake. Yes, four or five at night wouldn't be too many. I know that they are properly called Rat Snakes, but my Grandma always called them Chicken Snakes and she had a good reason.

7. texascowboy1979

Hey soccer mom... do you think that plywood under the pen would solve the problem...?

8. tabatha_westcott

tabatha_westcott Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2009
    Be careful about the rat poison

9. texascowboy1979

I put the rat poison in places I expect to find rats or where they would hide, but still away where the dogs cant get to it....

10. Soccer Mom

May 5, 2009
    West of Crazy
    Yes, putting flooring in can help. You'll need to attach the fencing to the flooring, but that will stop the tunnelling under.

(BTW: fellow Texan here! Howdy!)

Last edited: Sep 8, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by