Something is scratching unde rmy house...

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by cluckcluck42, Jan 13, 2010.

1. cluckcluck42

cluckcluck42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2009
    Quebec
    The other night the boyfriend heard scratching in the kitchen, coming from underneath the house. There is no basement and there's a few boards missing around the bottom where an animal could come in.

I thought it may be a mouse since he couldnt tell me how loud it was, just like a man. "I dunno" *shrug* he says.

Last night around 3am it woke me up, It was frickin loud!! Just kept scratching til we got up and ran water down the taps. It shut up but I was up almost the whole night after. Sigh.

We couldnt check for prints because it snowed all night and the only thing we saw were weird prints, which maybe looked like deer? Looked like something was running and bounding fast past our house, about 4-5 feet between the marks, and the marks looked like four legs all together almost like a horse galloping and taking a stride. ( )
    ( ) kinda shape.

Anyways, any ideas what it could be? We covered the entrance area in snow so whatever it is, we will likely see the prints tomorrow.

Boyfriend is chill about it, I am freaked out for some reason. It's RIGHT UNDER US, what is it! The cat is there in the kitchen right now so I assume it's under there at the moment, cozy and preparing to FIGHT ITS WAY IN TO MY HOUSE!! AAH!

2. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

Could be a cat, a rat, a coon, a possum, any number of things. We live in an old house and when we tore the floors out to replace them, we found dead turtle and cat skeletons under the house.

3. ThePamperedPullet

ThePamperedPullet Chillin' With My Peeps

A rat is capable of making loud scratching. A possum will make a very large scratching. If it is snowing then either is very possible. How much space is under the house as well as how big the opening is to get under will limit the size of critter.

4. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    Skunks LOVE to get in crawl spaces under houses.

5. cluckcluck42

cluckcluck42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2009
    Quebec
    Well we saw a cat here 3 days ago so last night (before I heard the scratching myself) I put out some cat food for it, it hasnt been touched.

Could be a racoon, whatever it is, it's LOUD!!!

Am I a big baby for it freaking me out? Oh my.

6. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

Go get your gun and your flashlight.

7. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    It could be zombies..... [​IMG]

8. Chipper

Chipper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2009
    Washington County, NY
    Quote:Just do'nt miss and hit any pipes. [​IMG]

9. BellLisamo

BellLisamo Diagnosed w/ Muscovitis

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    and dont watch paranormal activity before you decide to do it!

[​IMG]

10. Slinkytoys

Slinkytoys Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2009
    Black Forest
    Where are you located? When I lived in Missouri I heard some very weird sounds under the house. Turned out to be armadillos, their armor makes strange sounds when it whacks the pilings under there. They've been making their way into states that they haven't been seen before.
    Slinky

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by