Something is stealing my eggs!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by LilDucky85, Jan 3, 2010.

1. LilDucky85

LilDucky85 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    Northern, Illinois
    Saturday I left 4 eggs in the coop and by Sunday there should have been at least 6, but instead they were all gone!! I looked around the house and run but they had just vanished? Their coop is fully enclosed so nothing larger than a squirrel or chipmunk can get in it. Could one of those egg-napped my eggs? Now that I think of it last week there were several eggs scattered in the run. She recently claimed a spot in the duck house and has laid them there. What is going on here?

2. randomchick

randomchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2009
    Prescott, Ontario
    could the hens be eating them? did you check for shells?

3. Duck_feeder

Duck_feeder Drowning in feathers!

Oct 22, 2009
    Chicago
    I've had an egg disappear before and I'm pretty sure it wasn't some random animal since we keep our ducks indoors... I know the egg was cracked (it was laid on the upper level of their two-level pen and it fell down) so I'm pretty sure one or both ducks decided to eat the egg.

I know rats and snakes will steal eggs. Both would be able to sneak into your pen

4. LilDucky85

Feb 8, 2009
    Northern, Illinois
    Im from the suburbs of Chicago Duck_feeder, we dont have rats here, and its way too cold for snakes. lol. It's been -0, and theres at least a foot of snow out back.

5. LilDucky85

Feb 8, 2009
    Northern, Illinois
    Ill check for shells, I didnt notice anything?

6. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

wrong thread

Last edited: Jan 3, 2010
  7. Duck_feeder

Duck_feeder Drowning in feathers!

Oct 22, 2009
    Chicago
    Quote:I'm stuck in the same weather (downtown Chicago), so I should have known better about the snakes. [​IMG]

I'd bet on the ducks eating the eggs then. When they do, they don't leave a trace of them! Egg shells are like crack to laying ducks

Last edited: Jan 3, 2010
  8. LilDucky85

Feb 8, 2009
    Northern, Illinois
    Quote:I'm stuck in the same weather (downtown Chicago), so I should have known better about the snakes. [​IMG]

I'd bet on the ducks eating the eggs then. When they do, they don't leave a trace of them! Egg shells are like crack to laying ducks

LOL are you serious...shells and all?? I was sifting around looking for some shells today. Their poop seemed to have been cream colors in places, could the shells be why?

Thats cool, I figured you didnt see where I was from. I did second guess myself about the snakes though because I saw this really weird pattern in the snow tonight. It was on the other side of the yard, and not even close to the duck house though. It was a single trail but it had a pattern and you could tell it came from an animal. I dont know what on earth it could be?? I was downtown on the weekend of December 18th and stayed at the Hyatt. There was like no snow out there in the city! As we headed farther away on the Metra train from downtown the higher the snow got, and the colder it got. It was strange! I actually got frostbite in the city last year so I was more than happy about no snow! Oh, did I mention I started getting my first eggs ever while I was away?? Not fair!

9. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

I'm starting to wonder if the the reason I haven't had eggs yet is because the little twerps are eating them.

10. LilDucky85

Feb 8, 2009
    Northern, Illinois
    Quote:Yeah me too now because mine started laying very late! They were born in April and just started laying December 18th! Its those dang squirrels isnt it?!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by