Something is stealing our eggs.

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by frogsong, Jul 10, 2010.

1. frogsong

frogsong Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2009
    Squaw Valley, CA
    We have quite a few chickens and since we have problems with coyotes and bobcats we lock them up at night in the hen house.
    Twice, we've had a hen setting on eggs, and one day there are eggs under her and the next morning when we go to open the hen house door for them all the eggs are gone.

We've searched for holes where something could get in, but couldn't even find a hole big enough for an egg to squeeze back out.
    There's no mess, or evidence that the eggs have been broken and eaten inside the hen house.

Whatever it is doesn't seem to bother the chickens.

We live in the foothills east of Fresno California. Any ideas on what it could be?

Thanks,

Debra

2. savila009

savila009 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2010
    Sounds like a snake to me. They will swallow them.

3. frogsong

May 12, 2009
    Squaw Valley, CA
    Snakes was my first guess too.

Once they swallow the eggs, how do they get back out though? I'm talking a nest full of eggs overnight.
    Do they digest that fast?

4. SpringChickens

SpringChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    College Station, Tx
    Could also be a two-legged predator. You could try locking the coop with a padlock and see if your problem goes away.

5. frogsong

May 12, 2009
    Squaw Valley, CA
    It's definitely not a two legged predator. Someone would have to be pretty desperate for eggs to come all this way to steal some. Plus, I have 4 very big dogs. [​IMG]

6. tammyd57

tammyd57 Chillin' With My Peeps

A snake can eat eggs and then crush them inside, so that they will fit through whatever small hole they used to get in the coop. Could be more than one snake if a lot of eggs are disappearing at once.

7. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    Ya got a snake in your hen house, i have had them slide right under the hen and take their eggs.

8. NanoByte

NanoByte Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2010
    Sydney
    its obvious its a snake, only something that thin could slide through. And eggs are like heaven to snakes.

9. frogsong

May 12, 2009
    Squaw Valley, CA
    I guess a stake out is in order so I can catch it. It'll be interesting to find out what kind of snake it is.
    It must be a big one! [​IMG]

10. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Good Luck...that seem like a lot of eggs for a snake to get....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by