Something is still wrong with my hen.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by khatar, Aug 3, 2011.

1. khatar

khatar Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    My gold comet hen Chirp has been sick for a while from unknown causes. She has one eye as a result of a previous eye infection and has had some laying problems. She just finished a HUGE break in egg laying. After she finished her mysterious egg break, the yolks have had a dark brownish coloration on the inside of the yolk. I didn't know if this was good to eat so I threw it out. Another problem is that she developed a bald spot on her head after she lost the eye. The buds of the feathers are there, but the actual feathers themselves is are missing. Just recently she has been losing feathers on her breast, back, and belly. Is this the result of parasites or worms? Is she having a disease? Please help! [​IMG]

pic
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 3, 2011
  2. khatar

May 14, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    I don't have any other good pics because she's terrified of the camera.

3. khatar

May 14, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    Where is everyone?

4. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    You need to sevin dust her. Give her a Wazine for worms and then in seven days go to the Ivermectin. Ivermectin will help clear up external parasites but you don't want to use it if you haven't had her on any kind of a wormer recently. You're going to have to repeat the Ivermectin and sevin a couple times to see some improvement on the feathering.

Something better to start with, rather than sevin, is to give her an Adams Plus Flea and Tick Shampoo bath, blow dry her and spritz her with Adams Plus Flea and Tick Spray. Use a q-tip to apply the flea spray underneath the wattles, around the ears and ear lobes.

5. khatar

May 14, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    Thanks for the tip!

6. piper2009

piper2009 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    Could she be molting? I know 2 of my hens are molting right now.

7. piper2009

piper2009 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    Also, if she does have worms or internal bugs you can use Apple Cider Vinegar or Garlic in their water. It works really well and you can still use the eggs! Although, with heat like this I wouldn't use it until it gets cooler because sometimes the hens/roos will not drink the water with the ACV in it. If you do use ACV or garlic do NOT use a metal water it will rust.

Edited to add; I also use a dewormer call Verm-X and it works even better than the ACV and garlic plus it does not rust the waterer. It will get rid of internal bugs in a few days. It is a bit on the expensive side but it works and you don't have to throw the eggs away while you are using it. You can get it in the drop or the pellet form.

Hope this helps,
    ~Alex

Last edited: Aug 3, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by