something is terribly wrong with my chicken, but i don't know what!?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by somissemilyy, Jul 10, 2010.

1. somissemilyy

somissemilyy Songster

Jun 5, 2010
    Coldwater, MS
    Okay so my Wyndytte hen has something wrong with her. She is isolating herself from the other chickens [And no they aren't picking on her] she acts really sick! i gave her some mushy laying feed, with water, and she ate it. But what should i do!??!?! Please help me!!!!! Thank you so much! [​IMG]

Oh and days before all of this happened, she was sitting in the roost of the coop all day..

Last edited: Jul 10, 2010

2. Mrs. Feathers

Mrs. Feathers Songster

Apr 2, 2010
    How old is she? If she is laying could she be egg bound?

3. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    Just to be clear... she stayed on the roost all day, not in the nesting box, right? Have you seen her poo? If so is it normal looking?

4. somissemilyy

somissemilyy Songster

Jun 5, 2010
    Coldwater, MS
    I haven't checked her poo. But i carried her some food to eat and she was trying to eat it and her neck was moving in all diferent kinds of ways, like she couldn't control it.. But she did get some food.

5. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    I haven't had a lot of experience with chicken illness. I lost a couple (at different times) but never did figure out what it was. As it was not the whole flock I really was stumped. I have seen something somewhere on here about something that affects the neck muscles, but I cannot remember where. Let me do some searching, in the mean time, someone with a little more knowledge on this particular illness might come along [​IMG]

6. turtlebird

turtlebird Songster

Dec 11, 2009
    was she laying normally up until this point? When did she last lay? Is she egg-bound?

7. somissemilyy

somissemilyy Songster

Jun 5, 2010
    Coldwater, MS
    Yes she was laying normaly, i can't remeber the last time she layed.. What is egg bound mean?

8. leahthor

leahthor Chirping

Jun 24, 2010
    Northwestern Alberta
  9. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    It sounds neurological in nature.
    Could she have gotten into any molded feed?
    Is she moving her neck around like it's uncontrolled or is her neck bending at odd angles?

10. somissemilyy

somissemilyy Songster

Jun 5, 2010
    Coldwater, MS
    easttxchick- yes it is moving uncontrolled, and when i gave her her food, she acted like she couldn't get it, because she was moving ehr neck around.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by