something is wrong *new question*

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by azhenhouse, May 17, 2011.

1. azhenhouse

azhenhouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2010
    North Eastern Arizona
    I have a year old EE hen that has stopped eating, and drinking. I have tried feeding her all of her favorites today but she won't touch them. She is extremely under weight compared with the rest of the girls. When she breaths you can here rattling. Her eyes, and nose are clear. No discharge. Her comb is normal color. She is very lethargic. A little over a month ago she had cut her foot, and it turned into bumble foot. I treated it, and she recovered. I don't think it is related to that. The rattling concerns me. She isn't breathing with her mouth open, or gasping for air. It's just when she breaths it rattles. I think it might be too late for her, but if there is something I can do I will try.

I APPLIED INVERMECTIN YESTERDAY AFTERNOON. IF SHE DOES HAVE GAPEWORM WHEN WILL WE SEE IMPROVEMENT? SHE IS STILL WITH US, BUT IT IS TOUCH AND GO. SHE IS VERY GURGLY THIS AM, AND HER COMB IS TURNING DARK RED. THERE IS NO DISCHARGE, AND EYES ARE STILL CLEAR. SHE STILL HASN'T EATEN. HOWEVER, SHE IS POOPING NORMAL POOPS. SHE WAS SCRATCHING AT HER EARS EARLIER. DOES THAT MEAN ANYTHING?

Last edited: May 18, 2011
  2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Try some Tylan. It is an expensive antibiotic, but it works great! You might have to give it to her with a dropper.......Could be a respiratory problem. If she's very thin, she could have worms too......You might need to worm her!

Good luck!

Sharon

3. azhenhouse

Jul 12, 2010
    North Eastern Arizona
    Quote:can you do both?

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I agree with chicmom that it could be both...as both the symptoms are there. Rattling indicates a chronic respiratory disease (CRD) and your EE will always be a carrier. Antibiotics such as tylan may clear up the symptoms temporarily, but there is no cure. You can get rid of worms though...I recommend you use valbazen. It is a liquid cattle/sheep wormer. Dosage is 1/2cc for standard size chickens, 1/4cc for smaller chickens. It is given orally. You should worm all your chickens, then reworm them again in 10 days. There is a grand total of 24 days withdrawal. About a week after your second worming is completed, give your EE tylan 50 injectable...in this case it might be better to give it to her orally. Dosage is 1/2cc orally once a day for 5-7 days. I dont recommend the tylan soluable because she's sick and may not drink enough of it to be effective. There is a 14 day withdrawal for tylan 50 injectable.

5. azhenhouse

Jul 12, 2010
    North Eastern Arizona
    Quote:My feed store only has ivermectin. Can I use this instead of valbazen? Would it be the same dosage.

6. azhenhouse

Jul 12, 2010
    North Eastern Arizona
    Also, if she does have CDR, is it best to cull her since there is no cure.

7. azhenhouse

Jul 12, 2010
    North Eastern Arizona
    dwag53, thanks for your help. I feel like I am posting all over the place, and you probably feel the same way too. I am going to the feed store to get the ivermectin. I think I read somewhere that the dosage is three drops on the chicken. I'll give it a try.

We have two EE hen's, and they are the most mild/tame out of our flock. I am hoping that I didn't get to her too late. If the dosage is different, let me know. Thx

8. azhenhouse

Jul 12, 2010
    North Eastern Arizona
    See new question, in all caps, on front page. Thx

9. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:Look in her ears for mites, you might need a magnifying glass. They'll look like little specks of pepper. The ivermectin should kill them if there are any in there. Also, you can use an eyedropper and put a couple of drops of vegetable oil in her ears to smother them. If you see ear wax, that indicates a possible respiratory problem. You can use the tylan as I previously mentioned. To clean the ears out, use a Q-tip and gently/carefully clean the ears. Then use an eyedropper to put hydrogen peroxide in both ears, dry with a Q-tip. Then pack the ears with neosporin (without pain releiver) and leave it. The ears will clear up.
    ETA: If you decide to work on her ears, it's best to wrap her snugly in a towel to prevent her from flapping around etc...with only her head poking out. You'll be able to easily flip her over to work on the other ear as well.

Last edited: May 18, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by