Something is wrong with four of my chickens

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by campinbuff, Aug 26, 2014.

1. campinbuff

campinbuff Out Of The Brooder

Aug 14, 2013
    their legs are not splayed but they don't seem to be able to walk. They stand, but when they go to take a step, they fall forward and roll onto their backs. They are able to get to the troughs to eat and drink....what is going on??

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    We need more details to help. Are these newly hatched young chicks? What feed are you giving them. How are they being raised?

3. campinbuff

campinbuff Out Of The Brooder

Aug 14, 2013
    they are white rock sex lay. They are 10 weeks and are fed a ratio of 4 to 1 of wheat, corn, egg maker and flax seed.

4. gclark94560

gclark94560 Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm a newbie so take anything I say with a grain of salt! [​IMG]

My understanding is chicks/pullets need to be on a balanced starter/grower mix. Your feeding them a high grain mix may be leaving them short on either protein or calcium and they may be developing soft bones and joints.

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    They need to be on chick starter grower with 18-20% protein until they are 20 weeks old--it is well balanced with all they need. There are other problems affecting the bones and tendons of chickens that you may be seeing, but vitamin and mineral deficiency could be your problem.

1 person likes this.
  6. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    X2

Your birds may not be getting enough minerals like calcium or phosphorus. This can definitely cause leg problems.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by