Something is wrong with my Buff Orpington's eye. Advice please!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Jnet, Sep 22, 2012.

1. Jnet

Jnet Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2012
    This morning when I went out to feed the girls, my daughter noticed Zelda's eye was close and she wouldn't open it. At this time, she is moving around fine, not lethargic, and her eye is not swollen or anything. She just wont open it even when we entice her with treats. I don't know how long it's been this way, not more than a day or so, if anything.

Since I know nothing about treating a chicken, I am looking for some advice. Should I separate her in case it's the start of something contagious? Should I try to open it? Should I put some over the counter med on it? Warm compressions? Or should I just leave it?
    thanks!

2. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    If it is contagious they have all probably already been exposed. If it's just the one, more likely it's a minor injury, even a pecking injury. I would pick up some antibiotic ophthalmic ointment at the feed store and apply once or twice a day because eyes get infected so readily even with a minor injury. But it might very well heal without treatment.

3. Jnet

Jnet Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2012
    Thank you judy for the help. Her eye was closed for 2 days, not swollen, or anything, and then one day open again. I didn't give her anything and she was better again...weird.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by