something is wrong with my chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by itsybitsyfroggy, Dec 18, 2012.

1. itsybitsyfroggy

itsybitsyfroggy Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2012
    i have a flock of 6 girls. one stopped roosting at night so we put her up on the roost with her sisters when i close them up. she has gotten really light compared to the 2 other girls her age. They are about 20 weeks old. one of the other chickens her age pecks the other 2 sometimes. i dont know if she pecked her in the eye or something but when she trys to eat she always pecks like an inch to the left. Today, i noticed a few red chicken poops in the coop altough i dont know if it is from her. When they free range, she trys to keep up but soon loses the others. Whats wrong with her?

2. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    If it was bloody it could be Coccidiosis. But chickens also shed intestinal lining that is pinkish and redish.

3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

You should bring the hen inside, dust for mites/lice and deworm.

4. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida

5. itsybitsyfroggy

Jun 18, 2012
    would it really be mareks? i have a small flock and the only other person i know with chickens is my neighbor. her chickens aren't showing any signs. Also, my sick chicken's pupils are dialated.

6. yo burrill

yo burrill Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2012
    Garland, ME
    If they are 20 weeks old that is about the time Merek's shows up.. Where did you get the chicks from??? Definantly quarantine her asap!! You could have walked into your local feed store and picked something up there. Just because your chickens dont go anywhere doesnt mean that you can't bring stuff to them.

7. itsybitsyfroggy

Jun 18, 2012
    my three older ones i got from craigs list and that lady got them from a pet store. the three younger ones, including the sick one, i got from mypetchicken.com.

8. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    The young chicks can get it when they got into your flock if it was there.

However, no one is saying you have Marek's, it's hard to tell, and it's a possibility. I think the only thing you can do is supportive care and see if she gets better. She may not aim well because she's weak.

If you buy chicks in the future, get day old hatchery chicks that have been vaccinated, and quarantine them for 2-10 weeks when you get them before putting them out with the others.

9. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    X2

10. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    How is she today?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by