1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Something is wrong with my girls need help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by emfox, Feb 6, 2017.

1. emfox

emfox New Egg

Feb 6, 2017
    [​IMG][​IMG]Last year we had been given a coop, we bleached and cleaned it good three times. But every bird we've put in there since has gotten sick and died. Their eyes swell up so much that they can't open them. They won't eat or drink & barely move. We've decided to get rid of the coop because we don't want to continue losing birds. But we'd like to know what's killing them. I will upload photos of one of the pullets when I get home.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2017
  2. emfox

emfox New Egg

Feb 6, 2017
    They also have some sort of mucus in their mouths

3. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

Hey emfox

I am sorry to hear of your losses [​IMG]

Just my opinion but I would not be certain at this point that it is the coop and wonder where you are getting your chickens from?

Do you have other chickens on your property that are OK until you put them in this coop or are these new chickens each time that you are putting in the coop?

The symptoms you describe could be a respiratory condition [infectious bronchitis, mycoplasma etc]. Do they appear to have any respiratory issues?

It could be coop related by means of inadequate ventilation; what is your current climate like?

Are you able to share photos of the coop itself?

Also, Welcome to BYC!

1 person likes this.
  4. emfox

emfox New Egg

Feb 6, 2017
    We've had them since October. We had some in the same coop last summer & the same thing happened to them. And it doesn't sound like they have any respiratory problems. Just won't open their eyes and a weird mucus in their mouth. I will post photos of the coop when I get back to the house.

5. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

Hi, welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Sorry for your loss. [​IMG]

Did you have chickens before getting that coop? How long have you been at your place? Just curious if it could be in the land and getting rid of the coop will help or not? Do you free range as well?

I highly recommend that you have a necropsy done on your next bird that passes. Sometimes a regular vet will do it. But the state ag department and many vet schools do them for cheap to free. A few links that might be helpful......

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/40141/link-find-your-state-vet-for-a-necropsy

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1083775/sending-off-dead-chicken-to-get-necropsy

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/799747/how-to-send-a-bird-for-a-necropsy-pictures

Since you've had such great loss.... it would be worth it to see what you are dealing with before spending to replace the coop and flock only to find out that won't change anything.

Best wishes! [​IMG]

6. emfox

emfox New Egg

Feb 6, 2017
    Yes we had chickens before the coop.. We've had the coop for a year now and every chickens we've put in there have gotten it. We cleaned it out real good before putting the last group of chickens in there and thought we'd gotten it under control but it doesn't seem that way. We have 4 other coops with chickens in them and none if them have gotten it. And we don't have free range.. We've tried antibiotics, wormer and separating them from the flock and they're not getting better..

7. EggSighted4Life

Burn that coop...

Are they laying you eggs? Do you feed layer, treats, what else? Have you checked for mites or lice?

Sometimes if you tried all those things at once... could make them worse especially if they happen to be molting at the same time.

If you do feed layer, I would up the protein a bit. And offer electrolyte water... recipe is ..... 2 cups warm water, 2 tablespoon brown (or white) sugar, 1/2 teaspoon each salt and baking soda. Stir until dissolved and serve full strength. It won't solve your problem, but it could help. [​IMG] Also, boiled chopped eggs is always enjoyed, nutritious, and easy to digest.

8. emfox

emfox New Egg

Feb 6, 2017
    We mix our own feed it equals out to 21% I think is what my husband said.. They were laying eggs, but we've lost 3 and we haven't gotten any eggs since those three died so I'm not sure if those were my laying hens or if the three left are just stressed. The weather has been so warm the last couple weeks I worried it was something in the ground but I'm almost positive its the coop because all of my other chickens are fine. I've checked for mites and didn't see any. I wormed her with wazine the day she got sick just to see and she was better the next day but my husband also gave her antibiotics that day. The wormer was the only thing different we done to that one that we didn't do with the others... Could it of been what helped? My husband doesn't think so, but I think it could be possible.

9. EggSighted4Life

Giving wormer to an already ailing bird can cause them to go down hill. Antibiotics won't treat viral illness and will increase resistance of other bacteria to that drug. It will treat secondary infections that may arise though (like won't treat a cold but will treat pneumonia if it turns into that, like it often does for my hubby but not for me). Maybe try only one thing at a time next time so you can see what actually helps verses what makes it worse or doesn't help at all. I would insist on a necropsy if I lost any more birds. As well as keeping records to see if it's only happening at a certain time of year or that type of stuff. And keep track of the different treatments you use and their effect, writing it down helps because before long the dates and info all jumble together in my head and remembering correctly becomes challenging. I keep records of hatch dates, origin of the bird, any illness or treatments given, first lay date, other things like if they feather in slowly. All this in order to make sure In only breed healthy birds. [​IMG]

It could have been the wormer that helped. [​IMG] Hard to say! I have never wormed yet in 5 years. Some load is normal, when it is too much then it's a problem.

If you guys are in winter and depending on their age as well as if you provide extra light can have an effect on laying. Yes, losing their friends could impact their laying as well. The whole pecking order is going to change and that can indeed be stressful.

Hang in there! [​IMG]

Get a necropsy on your next bird and get your question answered once and for all! [​IMG] You will be armed with knowledge there after and won't have to guess any longer as to the cause of your loss or how to correctly treat. Don't second guess yourself. Go with your gut and get rid of that coop, but not to someone else.

So, looking around... I see Wazine ONLY kills roundworms.... so it may not actually be effective... post # 16 & 17 in this link might be helpful...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/944490/hen-wont-open-eyes-and-can-barely-balance/10

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by