Something is wrong with my hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Kaybug137, Oct 12, 2012.

1. Kaybug137

Kaybug137 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2012
    Texas
    My hen lays just about everyday, and now she's stopped laying, it's been a few days, she's now just standing around with her tail hanging down, whats wrong with Angel..?

2. kellysmall87

kellysmall87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sounds like she is egg bound maybe? Egg laying stopping + tail down + waddling and walking funny = eggbound usually. Search site on what to do for this, usually involves a lubricated finger gently GENTLY up her vent, feeling gently the egg, not breaking the egg - but instead squirting olive oil up there to lubricate. She should then pass it herself next day. Warm baths help the hen too.

3. Kaybug137

Apr 18, 2012
    Texas
    I don't have any olive oil, I'll ask my sister if she has some. Is there anything else I can use instead of Olive Oil? Hopfully it's just egg bound and not like impacted crop. But she is standing still most the time, as if she were standing up pushing the egg out kkind of stance, but she isn't pushing.

4. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Egg bound can be fatal . Don't take this matter with a grain of salt.

5. kellysmall87

kellysmall87 Chillin' With My Peeps

castor oil could be used, maybe other oils like baby oil, veg oil? Google that and see what you come up with. As 7Lfarm says, egg bound can be fatal, try some warm baths? Is she pooping?

6. Kaybug137

Apr 18, 2012
    Texas
    She seems fine now, digging and pecking like she normally does, I am thinking she absorbed that egg, or she laid it finally but somewhere I can find. She's acting normal. But, I'll go ahead and soak her in a warm bath, seems she needs one she's smelly and her feathers are dirty from being under cars.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by