Something is wrong with my lil Favorelle....please help.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by HenPen, May 11, 2010.

1. HenPen

HenPen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2009
    New Hampshire
    1) What type of bird , age and weight. Bantam Fav pullet,17weeks,weight unknown
    2) What is the behavior, exactly.lethargic,does not want to stand or walk she is nestled down and holding tail real high
    3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?just today
    4) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.noticed a small amout of blood near her vent
    5) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.Nothing,thought perhaps her roo tried breeding her or someone was picking on her
    6) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.had been drinking regular water and grower feed,just gave her some water with electrolytes
    7) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.Can't say for sure she has not gone since I found her and she was in a coop with other birds,I did not see any bloody or loose poop in the coop
    8) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?gave her some water with electrolytes and offered her food which she refused
    9 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?treat myslef
    10) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
    11) Describe the housing/bedding in use. in coop on shavings

2. got2bskilled

got2bskilled Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2009
    Virginia
    I had some pullets like that once when I got a large from McMurray(big mistake by the way...another story). What had happened: they were eating the shavings in the brooder. The ones that did not choke would act lame and tired(it most likely hurt their insides and would not digest). Because they would not stand, their vents became pasted and I had to pick it off... usually a few feathers would come off- which made me feel horrible. I think the best thing you can do is seperate it.... and sadly if the issue will not resolve itself, cull it after a week. Hopefully your birdy will feel better and this is not the issue~ Best of luck*

3. HenPen

Apr 29, 2009
    New Hampshire
    I hatched her from an egg and she has been fine for the past 17 weeks so I dont think it is shavings but thanks so much for responding.

4. babsbag

babsbag Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    Anderson, CA
    Try to find a treat she will like, cooked eggs seem to be a favorite. Also blueberries, strawberries, grapes, tomatos. Anything red to get her attention. I would also give her some vitamins, the childs poly-vi-sol with no iron is good. She has to drink. Dribble some water on her beak and see if she will take it that way. Maybe buy her some mealy worms. Is her crop hard, soft, empty?

My first thought would be cocci. The age seems about right. Has she been out in the dirt yet?

I hope she perks up. I am sure that others with more experience will help.

5. HenPen

Apr 29, 2009
    New Hampshire
    I gave her the vitamins,some cooked eggs...she ate a bit and looked a bit more alert but when I woke up this morning she had passed.....

6. got2bskilled

got2bskilled Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2009
    Virginia
    I am very sorry to hear that. At least she felt safe and had one good last meal thanks to you.

7. HenPen

Apr 29, 2009
    New Hampshire
    Quote:Thank you...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by