Something is wrong with my rooster.....?????????

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by rachelimmordino, Dec 13, 2014.

1. rachelimmordino

rachelimmordino New Egg

Nov 2, 2014
    So I have a mottled mille de fleur rooster, called Secki, who is a little over a year old. He is sweet and adorable and I love him to death. A little over a month ago me and my sister rescued an Australorp rooster, we named him Zeus, who was only about three months old at the time, who had been attacked by some dogs. He had a couple of deep puncture wounds and half of his left wing was bitten off. Thankfully, he lived. But once he was fully recovered he became a bit aggressive. He's SUPER protective of our hens now, we have seven, to the point where he'll threaten me if I get too close. The big problem was that he was "attacking" Secki. I never saw it, but my sister says that he has. In the last few days Secki has been very lethargic, we think Zeus wasn't letting him eat, and today he's so weak that he can't even hold his head up. It doesn't look like he was pecked severely, there's no blood. So I don't think that he's injured. He just won't move. He can't walk or even hold himself up, but he's living.... What do I do????????

2. ChickyChickens

ChickyChickens Chickening Around

May 24, 2014
    BYC? Epic <3
    My Coop
    [​IMG]
    I personally would get rid of Zeus, because Secki was "there first"!!! Secki has probably become less dominant then Zeus and is now really scares of Zues!! You could also separate them with an even (if possible) amount of hens!! But I personally would get rid of one!!

3. cityfarmer12

cityfarmer12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2014
    Missouri
    Welcome to backyard chickens!!

How many hens do you have?? each rooster needs about 8-12 hens to be happy, and even then they will scuffle. Separate him from the rest of the chickens into a separate coop, a dog cage, etc. See if he will eat and drink. If not try to give him water by dripping it into his mouth. Also, is he the only bantam??

4. rachelimmordino

rachelimmordino New Egg

Nov 2, 2014
    We are getting rid of Zeus already, giving him to one of our neighbors who has her own flock and no roosters. I'm mostly just worried about Secki. He can't move at all. He just tries to flop around when he gets scared. We have him indoors now. He can't lift his head up enough to eat or drink so I tried dipping his beak in water. No luck. I even attempted feeding him with a plunger, but he would just gargle it and eventually I leaned his head forward so that it would drip out because it would've suffocated him. And yes, he's my only bantam.

5. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Sounds like Secki has something else going on. Maybe you can repost this or ask a moderator to move it to the Emergencies section...

6. chickamy

chickamy Out Of The Brooder

Dec 13, 2014
    Yes - I think something else is wrong.... Have you tried meal worms? If he won't even eat those - you are in trouble.

7. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    I think it's merely coincidence that Secki began acting ill after Zeus came on the scene. He may have a puncture wound you never noticed and now has an infection, or is sick from something else. It sounds like he may not make it, but if you happen to have any antibiotics on hand, I'd start giving them to him and see if he improves. I usually use ordinary 250 mg amoxicilin tabs, one day for ten days.

8. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Could be the other rooster brought some disease with him.

9. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    That's a possibility, but wouldn't the hens also be symptomatic if that were the case?

10. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by