Something is wrong with one of my pullets! Help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Annie84, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Annie84

Annie84 Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2011
    Columbus, MN
    Hey all, I went out of town for 12 days, and my mom was taking care of my chickens. On Friday, all of the sudden, I guess one of my pullets was just laying there. On Sunday, my mom separated her from the rest because they were relentlessly picking on her. I got home this evening, and went to go see her, to see if I can see what is wrong, and she can't stand, and seems to have no muscle tone in her legs. All of the other chickens seem fine, happy and healthy. Does this sound like anything to anyone? Should I just cull, or is there anything that can be done for her at this point. She is laying there, clucking. She is about 11 weeks old right now.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
  2. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Examine her especially in the vent area to see if she has a maggot infestation of any kind. The fact that it was so suddent might suggest that she injested botulism or moldy feed of somekind. For botulism there's a molasses flush. Also, when was the last time she laid, she might be egg bound.

3. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    I'm sorry about your pullet. You might try giving her some electrolytes and watch to see if there is any improvement. She may have been more sensitive to the heat for some reason. You may also want to do a search on Marek's Disease to find out if the symptoms match.

4. Annie84

May 2, 2011
    Columbus, MN
    She was vaccinated against maerks disease, and there has been no moldy feed, we go through a bag about every 2 weeks. Sorry, I meant to write pullet, but guess I was thinking ahead of myself and put hen, lol. No signs of maggots or anything. We are having to clean poop off of her, though, but it's normal poop, she just can't move, so she poops on herself. She seems normal, otherwise. Her eyes are bright, she's alert and "talkative" just cannot seem to stand or walk or anything. She can flap her wings. My mom first noticed it Friday, I had already been on a week at that point, so I don't know if it was sudden, or if she just didn't notice until then. Like I said, all the other chickens are normal, and have been. They are allowed out during the day to free range.

5. Annie84

May 2, 2011
    Columbus, MN
    any help?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by