something is wrong with this rooster

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by prov31mom23, Aug 8, 2013.

1. prov31mom23

prov31mom23 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2012
    I have no idea what's wrong with this rooster. He is about 13 weeks old and will be heading to the butcher on Monday. We noticed that he wasn't walking very well only day before yesterday. Today he's barely moving. I had to pick him up and carry him back to put him in for the evening. He seems a little unsteady if standing and possibly has trouble reaching a standing position is well. I will try to upload photos and video but I'm on my phone and I'm not sure if that will work.

2. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    Sounds serious, whatever it is. I suggest not butchering him unless it's for an autopsy. Any animal that's seriously unwell or injured has tainted flesh that can be actually harmful to consume. The stress hormones released cause fat-bound toxins to be released in many cases, among other side effects.

What's his poop like? Has his face gone pale? Or was it always pale? More info is needed before a guess can be made. Best wishes.

3. prov31mom23

Jul 9, 2012
    Thanks for responding. I managed to upload a video to Facebook but can't get it directly posted here.

I feel so bad for him. I carried him back in tonight. He's managing to get out to a place under the trees about 30 feet from where he sleeps at night but doesn't move all day (from what I've seen). When I put him in at night, I place him near the food and water and he manages to stand and eat and drink as long as I'm there watching.

His appearance is pretty good except for a drooping tail. I have no idea what his poop is like - I looked this afternoon to see what I could see but there didn't seem to be any around where he spends the day - at least not any that looked out of the ordinary (which could be his or other chickens').=

Pamela

Last edited: Aug 9, 2013
  4. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    That's a rather serious injury from the looks of it. He needs to be kept in a small cage with food and water within easy reach, protected from other chooks and too much sunshine but allowed to see them and get some sunlight on him (vit D helps heal) and left in peace until he can heal, if he's able. I have seen something similar in a hen but hers was worse. She could walk, but her tail was touching the ground nonstop, and she died not long after. He's a smart boy to try to avoid walking with that problem. I wouldn't handle him any more than absolutely necessary, because with an injury that bad you don't know what's gone where and don't want to rearrange his bone structure if avoidable. I would guess it is a spinal injury. Since a lot of their spine is fused, they're less likely to be paralyzed than we are. But he needs help. Best wishes with that.

He may make a full recovery, he may make a partial one, he may not make it, but it's up to you as to whether or not you put in the time and effort to help. No condemnation if you don't choose that. Personally I would put in the time because I want to know what the survivability of the issue is, so if it occurs to one of my best I know whether or not to expect a recovery. But everyone's circumstances differ.

5. appps

appps Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2012
    Australia
    If you were going to butcher him anyway maybe its kinder to bring that forward? As long as you are sure its injury not disease. Seems mean to let him suffer the injury only to kill him when he recovers

6. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Agree

7. prov31mom23

Jul 9, 2012
    Thank you for your help. I also agree, especially since he seems somewhat worse today. The chickens he was raised with don't bother him, but twice today I had to rescue him from our egg layers. He is now isolated from all other animals, with access to fresh water and food as well as sunshine, shade, and fresh air until my husband gets home.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by