1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Something is wrong

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by KelBelle, Aug 27, 2010.

1. KelBelle

KelBelle Chirping

Aug 15, 2010
    We got our chicks on Tuesday and we seem to have an unwell chick. I don't see any signs of diarrhea, but it is quite listless and droopy. It doesn't seem to care anymore when the other chicks just walk right on top of her. Should she be removed or what? I just can't find any good info in the books I have. [​IMG]

2. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress 9 Years

I think I'd separate the little one. You never know if what he or she has is contagious? [​IMG] Good luck to you.

3. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    Separate it if it isn't able to defend itself. Oftentimes, the chicks that droop the first week have something unseen that will prevent them from living. When the yolk runs out, they start to fail.

Make sure it eats and drinks, because some don't catch on. Tap at the food with a chopstick or something to give it the instinctual urge to eat.

Good luck!!

4. KelBelle

KelBelle Chirping

Aug 15, 2010
    Thanks. [​IMG] MY husband dipped its beak in the water again and said it was drinking for a bit. After reading some other info, I am currently scrambling an egg for her. We will see what the result of that is.

5. KelBelle

KelBelle Chirping

Aug 15, 2010
    She ate a good bit of egg and looked pretty good while she was doing so. After cleaning a little poop off her rear and putting her back in the brooder the others began to peck at her rear and her legs. I separated her and will see what things look like in the morning. I guess this would also be a good way to observe her poop and even see if she isn't pooping too. We tried to give her a couple of friends but that didn't work out at all.

6. chickenracer

chickenracer In the Brooder

Aug 14, 2010
    What I had best luck with chicks is to get instant oatmeal(if you don't. Have feed this is good feed)mix it with water get a surnge and get the top water and make he or she drink it it helps a lot and for now I would seprate

7. KelBelle

KelBelle Chirping

Aug 15, 2010
    I may try the oatmeal. Thank you. She still isn't looking so well. She doesn't seem to be any better or worse. [​IMG] As odd as this sounds, I just can't find any place around that carries chicken vitamins. Are they usually this hard to locate?

8. WingingIt

WingingIt Songster

Apr 16, 2009
    You can use baby (human) vitamins like Polyvisol, just get the ones that do not have iron in them. [​IMG]
    You can add a little sugar or gatorade to the water until you can get the vitamins, too, to give her a little boost.

9. KelBelle

KelBelle Chirping

Aug 15, 2010
    Thanks! I'll see if my husband can pick some up.

10. Denninmi

Denninmi Songster

Jul 26, 2009
    All you can do is try. Sometimes they pull out of it and make it, sometimes they don't.

The basics of trying to save them are: 1) heat, keep it warm, around 95 degrees; 2) electrolyte solution, like Pedialyte or you can use Gatorade. 3) vitamins; 4) antibiotics, in case it is an infection; 5) feeding something very high in protein. Force feed if necessary 6) isolate from well chicks for the protection of all.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: