Something killed my turkey last night or this morning

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Blondie, Aug 6, 2007.

1. Blondie

Blondie Chillin' With My Peeps

A couple of weeks ago when we were out of the country, my female turkey disappeared. No sign of her at all.

This morning, went out and couldn't find Turkey Tom. Now, Turkey Tom was about 5-6 months old and would like to sleep on the roof of the barn. I looked in the far pasture and there was his carcass. [​IMG] [​IMG]

The head was missing and whatever it was dug into the body part (sorry for the graphic details). We have our pastures fenced in with barbed wire at the top and about 1 foot from the bottom. It also dragged the turkey FAR away from the barn. My turkeys and chickens never cross the creek.

I searched this forum for clues on what kind of predator would grab a BIG turkey and I couldn't find anything.

Can anyone give me suggestions on what it could be?? [​IMG]

Janine

2. Patchofheaven

Patchofheaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Conroe, TX
    Blondie, I'm so sorry to hear about your turkeys. I'm with motherhen, it sounds like a Raccoon or possibly a family of coons.
    A family of coons took 3 of my grown hens one night. We found followed the trails of feathers at least 50 yards into the woods. We only found 2 carcasses, they were different: 1 was just feathers and feet and the other one was headless and sounds just like you Tom. We have yet to find the 3rd one.
    We have caught 3 coons since this has happened. My advice to you is set a trap and get rid of the nuisance predators.

3. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Raccoon. Sorry for the losses of your turkeys.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by