"Something" Killing my Free Range Chickens - Fox or Coyote -- still undecided

mamatomany33

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 7, 2014
Ontario, Canada
On Friday afternoon, at 3:00 pm, my chickens sounded the alarm for the first time. We have had free range chickens before, as well as ducks, with no issues. But that afternoon, I was at my computer and heard the commotion, and went running outside. I saw the thief running across the back of the field, so I grabbed a very large stick (actually a broken shovel handle) and chased it as far as I could before running into a heavily forested area. My immediate reaction was "dog," but when I clued in to what was going on, I quickly turned my thoughts to "fox." But, in my mind, the colour was all wrong. Red Foxes are common in my area (Ontario, Canada), but this was more of a grey/brown/black mix with a hint of red scattered throughout.

Whatever it was, it got away with 3 of my 10 week old ameraucaunas. I was visibly shaken and quickly rounded everyone up and locked them away.

The following day, I let the crew out, and there were no issues. At that point, I thought it was a fluke and fingers crossed that he/she had moved on.

However, yesterday at 1:00 pm, both my husband and I were at the coop, and we turned our backs for no more than 2-3 minutes, and the alarm was sounded again. This time, hubby went running off into the forest chasing the same animal that I had described. Sadly, he/she got away with one grown hen (Buff Orpington) and my only full grown roo!! Again, our minds went to Fox, but I can't wrap my head around the colour. The only explanation that I could come up with is that it is a Grey Fox (not entirely common in my area, but not impossible either).

The chickens are now in their enclosed run (and NOT happy about it), but I still have ducks on the pond and I'm afraid that if it comes back and doesn't find any chickens, it's headed for the ducks. I have three full grown Pekins (2 ducks/1 drake), and 4 mucovies that are 6 weeks old (1 duck/3 drake). I have to protect them. I am borrowing a trap from my neighbour (a live cage, not a foot trap) to set tonight before it comes back tomorrow for another meal, but I'm starting to get nervous that it's actually a coyote (again, common in these parts).

I'm new to rural life and have never encountered either animal -- there was a fox sighted about 4-5 miles from my place, so I know they are here. And, I have heard coyotes late at night, so I know they are here as well. But, my fear is that I'll actually catch the darned thing and find out it is a coyote.

I have a Golden Retriever and am now scared to let him out. I also have a house cat that thinks he's an outdoor cat, but has zero street smarts, but he stays clear of the forested area and is brought in at night. But, I also have three kids, so whatever is out there has to be trapped.

Does anyone have any wisdom to impart (aside from packing it in and getting a turtle?) ... by the way, I have a snapping turtle situation that I need to deal with in the pond as well -- that's a whole other can of worms.

My property is not fenced (approx 5 acres), so the option of an LGD isn't one I can entertain at the moment. I do not have a gun (nor do I wish to -- I've never fired a gun in my life!), and I don't have space for any other type of guard animal (donkey, llama, etc.). If I leave the chickens and ducks locked up for a certain amount of time, will it move on? Or will it just return once I let the birds out again? ... I feel so helpless.

Fox in the wild are prone to mange - sounds like it could've been a red fox with mange. I've been having the same problem with a red fox. I broke down and purchased some electric poultry net fencing; saw the fox test it and retreat at a pretty good clip - haven had a loss since. Good luck - fox are sly little suckers.

Last edited:
I'm using cage trap at the moment, you can get them feed store or tractor supply. I'm also investing in some game cameras to put around my property so even after this fox is taken care of I still have a way to keep a track of wildlife comings and goings on my land

Back
Top Bottom