Something may be wrong. Coughing?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Apprentice_egger, Nov 30, 2009.

1. Apprentice_egger

Apprentice_egger Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2009
    Morrisville, Vermont
    I have a Cochin x I think. Supposed to be Cochin Bantam, but a slightly smaller than full size bird. Today she started to do what sounded like a cough/sneeze/putt. She sounds congested, and we brought her into the house to see if anything else was wrong. After she was in the house for a short time she stopped coughing. She has no nasal discharge, no inflamed face, neck, or other parts. She is alert and her eyes are bright. She has a slight wheeze when she breaths but is breathing normally. Since I'm new to chickens I'm taking extra precautions and have her separated in the house for now. If there's nothing wrong I'll but her back with the other hen and rooster in the coop. The temperature outside is pretty brisk at 35.5 deg. F.

I do need to make their coop a bit less drafty before serious snow flys.

Al

2. PandoraTaylor

PandoraTaylor RT Poultry n Things

Jun 29, 2009
    Alaska
    keep her isolated, warm
    Give Electrolytes in water and maybe some Apple cider Vinegar (1 teaspoon to 1 quart water)
    watch her food and water intake, her poop and her behavior.

3. Apprentice_egger

Nov 26, 2009
    Morrisville, Vermont
    Thank you Pandora. I've got her inside where I can watch her, and she's eating fine. Gave her vitamin water as well.

4. Apprentice_egger

Nov 26, 2009
    Morrisville, Vermont
    Everything turned out fine, my mentor said she was probably just coughing on some food and not to worry about it if she shows no signs of drooping wings and real distress. Being in unfamiliar waters I always find it best to be safe rather than sorry. She's back in her flock and doing fine.

Thanks Pandora.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by