Something my Grandparents askme

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by LoveThemBirds, Mar 1, 2015.

1. LoveThemBirds

LoveThemBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2015
    Petting Buffy Like a Dog
    My Grandparents know how much I put into my birds,learning breeds,learning genes etc.I get a "Often" question on Production Reds.Constantly telling my Grandma,"She is a Red Sex link."Production reds are a famous breed on this farm,and I am a proud owner.

Need suggestions:I saw many threads when I joined ,learning and reading them I saw some helpful advice.I then found some other "Online" advice.Should I make a Production red informational Thread?

2. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    You could, or you could try reviving this old thread https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/407487/production-red-thread-type-thingy/20

There is also a Red Sex Link photo thread here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/467260/show-off-your-red-sex-links-pictures-included/1210

BYC is here to encourage all to learn more and discuss more.

FYI: Production Reds and Red Sex Links are not the same thing.

The term Production Red as it is used today typically means a non-standard or hatchery quality Rhode Island Red or New Hampshire (often termed New Hampshire Red in Production Reds)...a red based bird bred for egg production, but is not sex linked....you can't tell the boys from the girls as day old chicks.

Red Sex Links are a hybrid cross of either a RIR or NH and a Delaware or Silver Wyandotte or other silver based bird (but not dominant white) to produce a sex linked chick...the girls are reddish fawn over gold while the males are completely yellow (for the white that will follow).

Good luck either reviving or starting a new forum to fan your interest in these remarkably productive birds.

Lady of McCamley

3. LoveThemBirds

LoveThemBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2015
    Petting Buffy Like a Dog
    Thanks for your input!

I have been explaining that "Speckles ois Red sex link ",but no.I also tried explaining a red bird from a red bird,but my granpa just said,"Makes no since,their just all ylthe same!"

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by