Something nabbed 2 girls from the tree last night =(

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by FLchook, Jul 20, 2011.

1. FLchook

FLchook Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2007
    Orlando, Florida
    I lost 2 of my girls last night. [​IMG] They had decided to follow our rogue rooster into the tree last night. They were 20ft up, and Snow White and Camo have slept there for years. Last night 7 girls followed.....this morning there is only 5 girls are to be found. [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    They played chicken and lost. Such a shame to have stubborn hens. Why does the rooster go up there?

3. FLchook

Oct 27, 2007
    Orlando, Florida
    He followed Snow White. I got Snow White as a mature lady, who was very much wild. Day one out of the coop and she and her sister were in the trees. When Camo came around, he just followed her. In the past I've had various members of my flocks take to the trees. This is the first time I've had any problems.

4. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    I'd try to catch the rest if you can, and get them in the coop. Leave them there for a few days if possible so they learn that that's where their bed is. Otherwise, they'll be gone within a week. Could be any number of things. My first guess would be a great horned owl, seconded closely by raccoons.

5. bufforp89

bufforp89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Chenango Forks NY
    Better get them in at night, its just going to keep coming back now that it knows, whatever it is..

6. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    So sad. They'll all be picked off now, unless you can corral them for a while and get them in a safe place. Easier said then done, I imagine, but maybe with irresistable treats?

Were there feathers/sign of struggle. or just GONE?

JJ

7. FLchook

Oct 27, 2007
    Orlando, Florida
    Could a great horned owl take an Americana hen?? As for feather trail, yes I did see some.... but that could have been Jasmines tail. She managed to get away from what ever it was.

Ill be rounding them up into the coop this afternoon.... The girls are no trouble, its Camo that eludes me.

8. Okie Amazon

Okie Amazon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    Midwest City
    GHO can take an adult guinea, so yes, they can for sure get an Ameracauna. Sorry for your loss. [​IMG]

9. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    If the rooster is causing problems he's the one I'd get rid of. Or what ever one is wild. I had some white Leghorns once and I swore never again would I put myself through that ever again. I never did catch theose things and just let nature take it's course. If something caught um they were a better man than me.[​IMG]

10. FLchook

Oct 27, 2007
    Orlando, Florida
    Everyone is safely locked into the coop. Going to keep them confined in their run for several days. Hope to change everyone mind.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by