Something new I learned all on my own....

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by holliewould, Jul 21, 2008.

1. holliewould

holliewould Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    Planet Earth
    Don't keep chicken food from the feed store in your house. Why? Well I opened up a paper bag full of scratch and out came a bunch of baby moths. Errr I think they're moths. Now they're all over my TV and living room lamp.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2008
  2. JimnJanet

JimnJanet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2008
    S.W Pa.
    Quote:Those are what are refered to as seed moths. They make good chicken snacks [​IMG]

3. sunnydee

sunnydee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    Maine
    Don't keep it in the house? oh oh...I only have a shed, but affraid mice will get it even though its in a tote w/ a lid??

4. MsBentleyboy

MsBentleyboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    Kentucky girl
    I purchased a sealed top tupperware container at Walmart. It's about the size of a kitchen trash can and holds my feed and keeps the lid tightly shut. It wasn't with the trashcans if you go looking for one. Try the department with all the containers with lids...there should be a whole aisle of choices.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2008
  5. Weewanona

Weewanona Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2007
    Wilburton, OK
    Go to the hardware store and get a metal trash can with tight fitting lid. Mouse proof and can go in your shed [​IMG]

6. holliewould

May 15, 2008
    Planet Earth
    I think I'm just gonna put their feed in the same fridge I keep my bait in. That outta keep them bugs from hatching right?

7. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* If you have a freezer, you can freeze it a couple days and kill the moths/eggs/larvae.

8. holliewould

May 15, 2008
    Planet Earth
    d.k :

* If you have a freezer, you can freeze it a couple days and kill the moths/eggs/larvae.

Whooo I didn't know that. Thanks for that tip! It's funny, the ladies wait for me to pop out the back door etc. I would hate to change their routine by putting their feed in the bait fridge. I'll definitely do that. Freeze first then put inside sounds like my kind of thing. Thanks again!​

9. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    The girls are really going to be mad. You are killing all their treats.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by