Something new to me !

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by rebel yell, Jul 17, 2011.

1. rebel yell

rebel yell Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Alabama
    I have never had peafowl before, but a friend of mine showed up today with 2 eggs that had been under a hen for 2 weeks, why they took them from her I dont know, well, they were out from under the hen about 30- 45 min. when I got them so I put them under a Orp. hen that I have setting now, Do they stand a chance of hatching after being moved like that ? when can you candle these eggs, he also gave me 1 more fresh egg that I put in my bator, I dont know a thang about peafowl, any info. will help, thanks.

2. ColbyNTX

ColbyNTX Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Woods, TX
    Not being under the hen for that short of time won't hurt anything.

3. SuperPeacockman

SuperPeacockman Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    They can still hatch.

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    If fertile, there is no reason that they should not hatch.

5. Kedreeva

Kedreeva Longfeather Lane

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    Two weeks is about halfway through their cycle... and it really depends on how cold the eggs got in their transportation. The actual moving won't have hurt them, and the hen will get off the nest to eat and drink and stretch. Should be ok if they're set up now. Did you candle them to see if there was movement?

6. rebel yell

Jun 27, 2010
    Alabama
    No, I havent yet, Im waiting till it gets dark tonight, will they be getting dark like a chicken egg does when they are candled at 2 weeks ?

7. rebel yell

Jun 27, 2010
    Alabama
    What should the humidity be on the one in the bator, I most of the time run about 30% untill the last 3 days & then up it to about 65%, will this be right ?

8. Kedreeva

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    Quote:They won't look quite the same as chicken eggs at 2 weeks. Chickens have a 21 day hatch cycle, peafowl have a 28-30 day cycle. So, they'll be "behind" where chickens are after the same amount of time incubating. Should look about the same at 2 weeks as chickens do around day 10- you'll see veins and a heartbeat, maybe a little "dancer" in there if they are alive, and a little bit of darkening as the chick grows. I will keep my fingers crossed for you! Let us know what you find [​IMG]

9. Kedreeva

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    Quote:Whoops. I meant to say:

If I recall, it's slightly higher for peafowl, I think we ran ours at 50% until hatch, and then upped it to 70-75%. But I didn't hatch this year and I'm fuzzy on the remembering.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2011
  10. rebel yell

Jun 27, 2010
    Alabama
    Just checked them, 1 of them is dark like a chicken egg at about 14-15 days, the other has veins in it, so I dont know, looks like one is father ahead of the other one.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by