something odd

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ilovechickensrock, Oct 1, 2011.

1. ilovechickensrock

ilovechickensrock Out Of The Brooder

Sep 6, 2011
    whenever i pet one of my chickens she goes to her stomach [​IMG] and latley more of them have been doing [​IMG] that it would help if you helped figure out what she is doing [​IMG]

2. blefky

blefky life in the yard

Mar 18, 2010
    stamford, ct
    HOw old are they? Sounds like they're "squatting", a submissive posture to accept a roo for mating. They often squat for their people too, especially if they consider you the head roo. Usually eggs aren't far off if they are squatting. [​IMG]

3. MetalSmitten

MetalSmitten Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2010
    bloomington, indiana
    hehe, well, it means she likes you. like, she really likes you.

4. OtterCreekRanch

OtterCreekRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2011
    NE Texas
    It is called squatting. Most all hens of egg laying age that I have do it.

5. triplepurpose

triplepurpose Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2008
    Ditto. It sounds like that's exactly what it is... You'll see it if you reach for them sometimes, or if you touch or grab them. I like to see it, personally, because to me it means they are accepting me as a dominant member of the flock (from their point of view), which is how I like it--as opposed to seeing me as an attacker, or a predator, like some of the less people-friendly hens seem to...

6. kiweed

kiweed Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2011
    Murfreesboro TN
    It's the only way my young kids can catch them

7. TroutsChicks

TroutsChicks Fluffy Stuffins

Jun 5, 2011
    baxter Tn
    YAY hen squats!! a day after mine started i got an egg! scratch her back when she does it and then watch her fluff lol

8. ilovechickensrock

ilovechickensrock Out Of The Brooder

Sep 6, 2011
    so it basicly either means she likes me a lot or she is gonna lay an egg i hope its both [​IMG] they are about 4 months old and they are barred rocks and amerucanas

9. NewChcikenmommy!

NewChcikenmommy! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    Kingsland,Georgia
    I took in 2 hens of egg laying age. about 2wks they were calming and settled in, following week one of them started doing that and about 3 days later I started getting eggs. Following week the other started doing it and now we are getting 2 eggs/day. We've reached our first dozen eggs! My husband laughs because I get excited everytime there are eggs out there...it's practically easter everyday for me now! LMAO:p

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by