Something plastic to put under pine shavings to protect coop wood floor?

Aug 18, 2022
Massachusetts
Looking for suggestions regarding what I can use as a thin base or to line the wood floor in my coop so that if any moisture from poop or pee comes down through the pine shavings (I do deep bedding method) I have in there it’s not going directly on the wood floor but on some sort of plastic lining or something that you suggest that will work to protect my coop wood floor. My coop is small 4 by 4 feet.

We have a 4'x8' coop. It is about 4 years old. We change out the shavings about every 6 months. The plywood floor has never been wet. The shavings seem to absorb all of the moisture. Here is a picture. This is my way of saying, we worried about the floor and it seems to have been a non-issue. YMMV.

Attachments

• floor.JPG
    floor.JPG
    51 KB · Views: 42
Looking for suggestions regarding what I can use as a thin base or to line the wood floor in my coop so that if any moisture from poop or pee comes down through the pine shavings (I do deep bedding method) I have in there it’s not going directly on the wood floor but on some sort of plastic lining or something that you suggest that will work to protect my coop wood floor. My coop is small 4 by 4 feet.
White plastic made for walls at Home Depot does the trick. We (almost forgot to add, we applied a sealant first to the decking) then glued and screwed them down tight, then added fine hemp mixed with potting soil for moisture control which has worked beautifully. No scraping and only will empty the coop out once or twice a year depending on how much I want to use for a garden.

Another reason to use potting soil and fine hemp is to prevent injuries from the slick surface of the white plastic.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom