Something pulled off my chicken's head!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by prescottchicken, Mar 3, 2014.

1. prescottchicken

prescottchicken Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2014
    Prescott Arizona
    Raccoon?
    We have a coop with a 30" (i think) high brick wall. The upper part of the coop was welded wire. I found my hen headless next to the wall with evidence of a struggle and the wire was bent. So: something reached in and pulled her head off! So sad. So I put up hardware cloth and they now have a fortress. We live in town but on 1.5 acres of brush and have a lot of wildlife. I had been letting my chickens out during the day but two of them were eaten by coyotes. So now they are stuck in the run[​IMG]

. I have 2 questions:
    1. Do you all think it was a raccoon or could something else have done it?
    2. Is there a way to let the girls out while keeping them somewhat safe?
    We live in Prescott AZ, high desert btw

Thanks[​IMG]

2. WindStep

WindStep Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2014
    ??
    Build a sterdy coop run! were they can come out in.

3. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Most likely a raccoon. They can climb anything, very nimble and as strong as a bear.

You could consider electric fencing for ground predators and poultry netting for hawks. A rooster can protect from some daytime predators or a good LG dog.

4. WindStep

WindStep Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2014
    At ChickenCanoe good idea all but the dog.

5. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    True. The dog would have to be trained from an early age and from a livestock guard breed.
    Or the OP could build a larger pen for the chickens and keep the dog on the outside.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by