Something smells rotten in Bator-ville

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by BroosterSpringsteen, Apr 15, 2012.

1. BroosterSpringsteen

BroosterSpringsteen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    NW North Carolina
    There's a funky smell coming from my bator. It's not terrible. I can only barely smell it, but any bad smell is alarming. I figure if it's an egg, it has to be 1 of my Marans, because they're the only ones I can't see very well when candling. We're on day 16. But when I smell each egg, they all smell fine. Could it be my bator? Has anyone experienced this? Maybe the porous styrofoam absorbed some bacteria that I missed when sterilizing?

I'm nervous. I already had one near disaster this batch...a bad egg that exploded as soon as I got it outside. It smelled foul, and was actually making a faint hissing noise. I ran with it like a grenade with the pin pilled out, but we just didn't quite make it. [​IMG]

2. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

Been there with the "didnt quite make it" thing.

But if you can't make out which one it is right now then it will be ok for a while. Give it a while an smell each again. You should be able to pick it out well before bad things happen. Also make sure you smell the eggs that candled good to, they can go bad just as easy as clears can.

3. BroosterSpringsteen

May 15, 2011
    NW North Carolina
    Yeah, thanks. I figure I'll just smell them again on Tuesday before lockdown, and hope I find the culprit. It also occured to me that the earlier bad egg might have weeped a little into the channel below the wire? Maybe that's what I'm smelling?

4. BroosterSpringsteen

May 15, 2011
    NW North Carolina
    Ok, I definitely found the culprit yesterday. There was really no question. It was foul. But I'm glad I found it before lockdown!

5. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by