something stilling my chickens

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by sandovaljose214, Dec 29, 2013.

1. sandovaljose214

sandovaljose214 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2013
    Hey I need help finding out what Is taking my chickens.Every morning when I wake up and go let the chickens out I am always missing a hen. Their are no feathers any where and holes on the coop. Every time I lock my chickens up at night I always count them to make sure none of them are left outside in the cold weather. I also double check that all the coop doors are locked.but still I am always missing a hen . I got tired of it and so I dicided to put some traps out. But every morning I get up and go check the traps they are flipped over ! and they dont have the food any more ! I dont no what Is doing this but I am tired of lossing my birds.The only to preadators for chickens around her at night are racoons and coyotes. But how Is a coyote going to get in the coop when It is off the floor ? I know that a racoon would be able to climb up to the coop and open the lach but how in the world could a coon open the door get a hen and then close the door ? thats just crazy and not possible. when I went outside I took my dog with me and he was just smelling around . Well I open the coop and accors Another hen was missing. but this time It was my favorite of all my silkie. I am super mad and super sad. well the next day I went outside one of my banties was missing and all the traps were flipped over. But that Is not the only thing I found I also found a foot print of a persons shoe !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I made sure It wasnt nobody of my family and It wasnt. I was super sure It was a chicken rober. So I put a lock to every door. I put the keys in the kichen and the next day when I let the chickens out the last 13 were still there. does any body no what It could of been . My gues is a person.

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Sounds like it was a person.

3. SilkiesForEver

SilkiesForEver Overrun With Chickens

Mar 24, 2012
    Sacramento, CA
    I agree. It sounds like a human. Lock everything securely, and possibly do a stake-out to find your chicken-napper.

4. NinjaRooster

NinjaRooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2013
    The Corner
    (sniff sniff) Smells human.
    Look for (more) foot prints, as well as tire tracks if possible.

And if you are handy with large net traps...

5. BrickWall Honey

BrickWall Honey Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2013
    Accomac, Va.
    Add a trail cam and set it up nearby to catch whatever on film

6. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    Padlock the doors. If they stop disappearing, it was a person.

7. ileggs

ileggs Out Of The Brooder

Mar 29, 2013
    Chicago IL
    How many chickens were taken?

8. sandovaljose214

Dec 26, 2013

Last edited: Dec 30, 2013
  9. SilkiesForEver

SilkiesForEver Overrun With Chickens

Mar 24, 2012
    Sacramento, CA

10. sandovaljose214

Dec 26, 2013
    thank goodness no more chickens are missing but I am still sad for lossing my silkie [​IMG]and i am also super mad[​IMG] for who ever did it. I will find you who ever took my bffs !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by