1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Something strange on the egg

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Cristen8098, May 12, 2008.

1. Cristen8098

Cristen8098 New Egg

May 12, 2008
    Michigan
    Hello. I am hatching some chicken eggs in my classroom. Today is day 6 of incubation. I noticed today that one of the eggs has someting strange on the shell. It looks like spores or something. There are three patches of it on the egg. Each patch is made up of a bunch of little spheres. I've never seen this happen before. Does anybody have any idea what this could be? Should I remove the egg from the incubator? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!!

2. Chicken Cluck

Chicken Cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2008
    I don't know. I never tried getting eggs to hatch. But good luck with the eggs. I hope they hatch!

3. chickychee

chickychee Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Michigan
    Are they white? They could just be calcium deposits and they aren't anything to worry about, at least I haven't.

4. s6bee

s6bee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Western, NY
    If you can get pictures of it do so. I have no clue. Does it look like something fungal like? Do you know how to candle eggs to see if its still alive?

5. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Is the egg seeping? What color is it?

6. Cristen8098

Cristen8098 New Egg

May 12, 2008
    Michigan
    The spots are white. I'll take a picture tomorrow and post it. Thanks for the help!

7. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Maybe it's just calcium deposits on the egg. Usually if they're seeping it's an amber color.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by