Something stuck in crop? Is there a way to help her?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by HorsesandBirds, Sep 15, 2010.

1. HorsesandBirds

HorsesandBirds Out Of The Brooder

Mar 29, 2010
    Hi all... I have a 3-year-old RIR hen who seems to have something stuck in her crop. Her crop area and throat are protruding, and she is visibly uncomfortable--standing in one spot and shaking her head/twisting her neck repeatedly. The first day we found her drinking water voraciously and dribbling it all down her chest. Later she seemed fine. Then the next day she was doing the head shaking again and was not going into the coop in the evening with the rest of the chickens. My husband picked her up to put her in the coop and she vomited! I didn't know chickens could vomit.

My thought is that there must be something in her crop that's preventing her from swallowing. Is there anything we can do to help her?

TIA!

2. Muggsmagee

Muggsmagee Menagerie Mama

Dec 15, 2009
    Central NY
    There have been lots of threads on things similar to this. Search "stuck in crop" and you will find something. You can start by massaging the crop. Good luck to you...keep us posted.

3. HorsesandBirds

Mar 29, 2010
    Okay, we gave her a dropperful of oil and massaged the crop. She vomited some black stuff. Now she is lying still and looking miserable.
    Some more specific questions--
    How much oil should we use? How often to repeat the oil and massage? Should we withhold food?

4. HorsesandBirds

Mar 29, 2010
    Update--she died. [​IMG]

5. Muggsmagee

Muggsmagee Menagerie Mama

Dec 15, 2009
    Central NY
    Oh NO! [​IMG] I'm so sorry! I wish I had more experience with this. Is there anyone else on here that has had their own experience with something like this??? Anyone? I hope you can find some answers. [​IMG]

6. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    I'm so so sorry! [​IMG]

7. Dora'smom

Dora'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2009
    Oregon
    I'm so sorry for the loss of your bird. [​IMG]

8. alicefelldown

alicefelldown Looking for a broody

Aug 18, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2010
  9. ruth

ruth Life is a Journey

Jul 8, 2007
    Woodville, MS
    I'm so sorry - I just found your thread. It sounds like she had an impacted and sour crop that was pretty far advanced. She could have also asphyxiated on some of the black water she was throwing up.

10. beachchickie

beachchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2009
    Alabama
    Sorry for your loss. Just in case she got into something the others could get into you might if you can disect and see what it was.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by