Something to balance out gamebird starter

Snipes

Songster
9 Years
May 15, 2010
I worry about gamebird starter being too high in protein, so should I balance it out by feeding partially the starter, and also very finely cut/pureed grass and veggies too? There is no duck starter at my local feed store. Should I grab some unmedicated chick starter too? I only have potentially 7 ducklings, so I don't want to end up with a ton of food

Sweetfolly

Songster
10 Years
Apr 17, 2009
Kildare, Wisconsin
Mix the Gamebird feed 50/50 with any unmedicated chick starter.

I've also raised ducklings on Purina Start & Grow (which is a chick starter) and that worked great for the first three weeks. Then, I switch them to Purina Duck Grower.

Buttercup Chillin

Songster
11 Years
Oct 27, 2008
SouthEast TX
I feed my ducklings, well all ducks when there are ducklings, the same as for the older chicks. Grower chick food as it is not medicated. I also, feed finely chopped, Romaine, Kale, Turnip Greens, ect. As well as frozen or dried cooked peas mashed and watered down, their absolute favorite, thoughout life.

For the adults there is always oyster shell available, ducklings don't need it and don't eat it.

If you are giving grasses or greens remember to give them some grit, small grit for chicks is fine.

I just put a small dish out and let them get what they want. I use a lot of small kitten saucers and glass pie plates (heavy enough they can't tip it over as they grow) for food and water for the babies. Works great. Yes, some swim in the pie plate of water, but if their Moms let them, I figure they will be fine and they are.

Last edited:

Amiga

Overrun with Runners
10 Years
Jan 3, 2010
Southern New England
I added one part rolled oats (not instant) to five parts crumbles, then similar ratios when I switched to grower, because I felt the protein was a bit high in the commercial feed.

Wifezilla

Positively Ducky
11 Years
Oct 2, 2008
Colorado
I just give greens. I am on my second batch of ducklings this year fed game bird feed with no sign of angel wing. Of course, I don't believe it is protein that causes it anyway. I blame high carb foods.

Top Bottom