something to put over my run

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by creaturelife, Feb 2, 2014.

1. creaturelife

creaturelife Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2013
    i m look to get some wire or netting to put over my run so that no raccoon or hawk can get in i m looking for some thing that will not cost much to do this i dont have much money to get any thing crazy high i just got my run for the duck the other day i had to kick my pigs out to a new pen

2. ducksinarow

ducksinarow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    I use mesh shade tarps that I bought off ebay. It keeps the hawks and owls out; however, it would not keep out raccoons though. You could buy old kennel sections from a metal recycling center. I plan on doing that this spring when I move my pen. Or use hog panels with wire attached.

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Old kennel sections might work, and wrap the edges strong and snug - perhaps a good gauge wire.

I use coated 2"x3" fence across the top.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2014
  4. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    I have one run covered we used 2x4's and wooden lattice then i put wire on top of that. it's solid, no coon has ever gotten in and it's been tested lol

5. creaturelife

Jun 10, 2013
    thx im going to look into all this stuff and see what is going to work over my run i went out side this morning and i had 5 ducks out they never got out until i add new ducks to the flock i also have great news i m going to be able to get me some new duckling this year from a hatchery cant wait i m trying to pick a real good laying breed that will lay some when my muscovy and mallard are not laying

6. DuckyGurl

DuckyGurl Overrun With Chickens

I've used snow fence before. I don't think it would keep coons out, but hawks for sure. Is it a 24/7 run? Because then I'd go with wire for sure....

7. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I use something that was sold to keep deer out of gardens - it is more like a netting - stretched across the top of the tea garden. That seems to discourage hawks.

8. creaturelife

Jun 10, 2013
    i m going to use it as a 24/7 run

9. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    If they'll have access overnight you'll need it super heavy duty.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by